Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 01:26 PM

Re: What are forums for?

My idea of a forum is to share things, whether it's opinions, advice or what we watched on telly last night. All done in the best possible taste of course. I don't care what people post because I can always ignore it but I don't like it when some members think they own the site and only their views or threads are important. ( I say this generally - not anyone specifically).
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 01:42 PM

/
Originally Posted by Mups ->
OK. Mark, I don't entirely agree with you.

First - you say a forum should be viewed as a place to 'let off steam.'
But that is assuming we often have 'steam' to let off in the first place, not everybody has.
Now be fair, you have always had a lot - I don't mean that unkindly either.
Your brain seems to be almost permanently in overdrive and I don't think you can deny that.

Next - I agree with you about keeping emotions on an even keel, but everybody handles their emotions in their own way. Some will shout, others will argue, some get drunk, and others just weep . . . etc etc.
Again, I am sure you know that too. So on that thought, will you also see that we don't all get psychological relief from shouting on a forum. Because it may bring you some sort of satisfaction, it is pointless telling everyone else that it is best for them.

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones, because I honestly do not have many 'demons' to exorcise. I have a mini-rant from time to time, but I like to think I would scrutinise how I lived my life, and organise changes if I needed to bluster my way through every day.

I hope you understand what I mean, and that I am not condemning you in the slightest, but you do seem Mr. Angry quite often, and I am sure there is more to you than that.

No time like the present, so what about today? Could you not withdraw from outside influences for a while, and dedicate the rest of today to yourself only, and go and do something that really brings you pleasure and peace of mind, total indulgence if you like. Good luck.
You know you have given me food for thought. I'm bored and have been wracking my brain for a new venture to throw myself into for ages. What about an autobiography? And ........wait forrit ..... call it: 'Overdrive'?

galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
You lot are like children
Forums like this one are there for people of all kinds to chat to each other nothing more nothing less, preferably politely .
Then way have political sections on this forum?
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by purwell ->
who said that?
mkj ?
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Yes. Does it matter if they exist or not? You can be banned from a forum so your contacts might as well never have existed in the first place. You can choose to make them far more than just a forum acquaintance but that is incidental. A forum is a public speaking platform and as such it is meant to be your online sound box where you can speak your mind.

Your very reply above conveys meaning to others. It is laced with concern - intrigue - I can even see a tinge of annoyance there. These are emotions that will stay hidden, likely to fester unless you speak out. YOU are using it as intended as do I .
You can die too.......so what's the point of any friendship online or not ?
Have you considered you may just be over thinking things ?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 05:45 PM

I can't tell you what all forums are for but I can tell you what this forum is for.

I have always been fond of a lot of the older people in my life, whether in real life or those I have met on other forums I admin. I've found so many of them to be understanding, patient and kind - the sort of people I like and respect. So I wanted to give them something back - a place they could go to to make friends, get support and talk about things that they might not be able to in real life due to perhaps being alone or isolated.

When I factored that we had lots of over 50s folk on other forums I admin, and that I am a bit of a online community nerd (I find human behaviour fascinating), it was a no brainer

So the forum was meant to be an online community for those over 50. Somewhere they can share their ups and the downs, get support, and be a sanctuary for when they want to forget about the troubles in their life.

It was never intended to be a place where people air or spread hateful views, bully others or just add a net negative impact on the community rather than a positive one.

One thing I have always done, is gleam what I can from any given situation - so even if sometimes it might feel like we stray from this ethos, analysing it all helps me shape future projects (the biggest of which I am hoping to be a social network - if I ever get around to it, it's going to turn the industry upside down ).
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I can't tell you what all forums are for but I can tell you what this forum is for.

I have always been fond of a lot of the older people in my life, whether in real life or those I have met on other forums I admin. I've found so many of them to be understanding, patient and kind - the sort of people I like and respect. So I wanted to give them something back - a place they could go to to make friends, get support and talk about things that they might not be able to in real life due to perhaps being alone or isolated.

When I factored that we had lots of over 50s folk on other forums I admin, and that I am a bit of a online community nerd (I find human behaviour fascinating), it was a no brainer

So the forum was meant to be an online community for those over 50. Somewhere they can share their ups and the downs, get support, and be a sanctuary for when they want to forget about the troubles in their life.

It was never intended to be a place where people air or spread hateful views, bully others or just add a net negative impact on the community rather than a positive one.

One thing I have always done, is gleam what I can from any given situation - so even if sometimes it might feel like we stray from this ethos, analysing it all helps me shape future projects (the biggest of which I am hoping to be a social network - if I ever get around to it, it's going to turn the industry upside down ).

I like that Azz, and fully agree.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->

Over all that's what this forum provides, somewhere to share views, get help and have a general natter. Sometimes members go a bit OTT (I'm sure I have) but that's what life is like in the real world as well as on forums.

The man next door might be elderly, lonely and need a bit of help now and then but it doesn't mean he won't throw slugs over the garden fence.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 06:07 PM

I am only here for the beer, all this soul searching and angst hurts my brain cell...
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I like that Azz, and fully agree.
Me too Azz! I know that people will disagree on serious topics but many people on here have also found comfort in sad times, had a laugh at funny threads and often get good advice on practical problems. This place is like having many fantastic neighbours, that you can speak to from your own home but don't have to live next door to.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top