Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 07:27 PM

Re: What are forums for?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The man next door might be elderly, lonely and need a bit of help now and then but it doesn't mean he won't throw slugs over the garden fence.
That's all right. We were discussing that on here the other day and it appears that slugs always find their way home, even over garden fences.

Homing slugs, they're called.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Me too Azz! I know that people will disagree on serious topics but many people on here have also found comfort in sad times, had a laugh at funny threads and often get good advice on practical problems. This place is like having many fantastic neighbours, that you can speak to from your own home but don't have to live next door to.
And if you don't particularly like them, you can easily avoid them!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
A forum should be viewed as a place where you can let off steam - a place where you can get it all off your chest. Who the hell cares what others think of you? Who the hell are they come to that?
I disagree strongly with that statement. Using a forum to let off your personal angst, problems, steam or otherwise is simply an abuse of the facility and disrespectful of those using the forum.

The forum belongs to no individual poster but is a platform, a shared environment placed there by administrators to allow multiple posters to exchange info in a mutually respectful way and within a pre-defined set of standards/rules.

No-one has a right to "brain-fart" all over the forum or spam it with endless threads (esp about the same topic over and over). There are posters who DO do that sadly and they ought to be restricted or removed imo but that's for Admin to deal with.

The greatest tool in anyone's arsenal to keep emotions on an even keel is to shout off - to express oneself. It can be cathartic - hell it is cathartic full stop.
I disagree. Learning self-restraint, respect for others, being humble are better ways to deal with personal emotions and will illicit a better response from those who you come into contact with. Shouting off doesn't engender sympathy or empathy from others and leads to isolation. Mastering your emotions is a part of life that should really be mostly achieved by adulthood.

Don't be brow beaten by anyone. Speak your mind. Don't dare hold back as you will just swallow it which will turn rancorous in time eventually eating away at you.
Disagree again. This stance is one of immediate confrontation. By its nature it stems from a "them and us" thinking perspective, something I have mentioned to you before. A debate is not about winning or scoring points or being better than someone else. It is an exchange of information which can only be effective if you have a genuine interest in other's viewpoints. Always argue from a position of strength but be open to learn and expect to encounter new information.

But I do mean you shouldn't worry about making a fool of yourself because a forum is for the faceless.
Yep nothing wrong with making a fool of yourself. A ship can only be steered whilst it is moving. What matters is how you react and respond when you make a fool of yourself or when others handle debate well. Debating is a real life skill. It is far from easy. It requires clarity of thought, an open mind, a good memory, respect for alternative viewpoints and an understanding of how and why someone might feel the way they do and hold the opinions they do.

It is a game - treat it as such to gain the greatest reward - exorcism. It can free you of your demons if you treat it right.
No I don't see it as a game. It's just a skill to be learned like anything else. To treat it as a game is to make a mockery of other people's views. People invest their time and energy as well as emotion and empathy when they post. I try and treat such posts fairly and honestly and engage as best I can.

Overall MJK it's clear that you have some "needs" given your condition and one of those is to vent and express yourself, to in effect gain attention from others. The internet and forums like this one provide an apparent platform to do that but that is not the purpose or spirit of a forum.

You wouldn't walk into a library and start venting there or stand in a bus queue and try and start up numerous discussions about Islam with the person in front of you. You would just alienate yourself. Using a forum to do the same thing isn't a solution and isn't what the forum is for.

If you genuinely want/need to discuss Islam and immigration to the "nth" degree then there are likely dedicated forums where you can do that. Better forums, with people more interested in that topic but forums where you are likely to get your views tested with a lot of factual information. It's probably worth seeking one or more of those as a way to let out your Islamic fears and concerns but be wary of the potential consequences.

As for this forum, it has a good balance of subject areas and for the most part posters don't tend to keep creating threads about the same thing. There are sadly exceptions, like some people's obsession with specific political parties that they hate. Constantly creating threads to vent that obsession is imo an abuse of the forum and should be stopped, but again that's for Admin to sort out.

In the end, the fact that you felt the need to create this thread, a thread where you say you are being criticised and that people are "putting you in your place" etc suggests that you are still alienating yourself. Whether or not those exchanges give you an escape from pent up emotion and angst, it still isn't a proper use of a forum imo.

We need an environment of mutual respect and understanding, a place to learn, to exchange information and gain from the experience.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 09:22 PM

Lol Realist. Not one point you brought up has made the slightest difference to how I think - or will it ever. We are 2 opposing forces. Both as arrogant as the other. I, on the other hand, am willing to eat humble pie now and then. I get the feeling you would choke on the very aroma of it .

You have to agree forums are fun surely?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 09:42 PM

Forums are fun, if they are full of "Bit Players"
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 10:01 PM

Lol Realist. Not one point you brought up has made the slightest difference to how I think - or will it ever.
Naturally. That's because, as you outline in your OP, you are not here to exchange info or learn or engage in real debate. You're here to vent, to poke and prod people to get reactions and engage in silly confrontational spats. It's childish, but I accept that it's part of the condition you have previously told people you have. Nevertheless, a misuse of a forum, an abuse of a forum.

We are 2 opposing forces.
No, I'm not an opposer. I don't enter threads to oppose or be in competition, to score points or win anything. I set out my thoughts and views and knowledge as plainly and as interestingly as I can.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 10:06 PM

Well done you then.

Get that man a popsicle .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2017, 10:09 PM

Forums may be for considering "What If", what if for example, MKJ and Realist were one and the same person, nah, that is just ludicrous.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

24-04-2017, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Forums may be for considering "What If", what if for example, MKJ and Realist were one and the same person, nah, that is just ludicrous.
I know I have issues but that is stretching things a bit far. But then again ...
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

24-04-2017, 10:15 PM

I find it odd that people on an over 50s forum should display perfect decorum at all times. Surely that would drive us all nuts? Sorry, but as Mups mentioned my brain is in constant overdrive and has been all my life - well most of it anyway. Why should it suddenly stop now? I would be a different person entirely if that happened.

One more thing is I find myself entertaining - probably far more than you lot do. I relish in my absurdities - my slight prodding (I used to goad). I am fun to me. The big question I need to ask - and I do believe me - is whether others do too? I'm constantly monitoring this. I get the feeling some do and some don't. But I'm adaptable and will change to suit (if I see the need that is ).

Bah. Stimulation comes in many forms. I am one such form - as are we all.

Right - that is enough wisdom for one day. Given out freely once again I might add .

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top