Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 08:39 PM

Re: Should horse riders be allowed on roads?

I do not think it quite as cut and dry as to whether horses should be allowed on roads or not. I do think they should wear high viz jackets though. Wording on them isn't necessary IMO.

To me, I say it depends on the road, the traffic, the experience of the rider, the temperament of the horse, and the courtesy of both rider, and motorist.

A sensible, well trained horse who has a familiar rider he understands and trusts are likely to be safer than a young, skittish horse (perhaps a mare in season even), who leaps about at every slightest sound or movement.

Having said that, I personally have witnessed moronic drivers going up behind riders, then tooting their horns to let them know they are there, or about to overtake. How stupid is that! I can also appreciate what has been said about cyclists alarming horses.

However, I do not like to see riders going two-abreast and ignoring other road users though. Some riders definitely do not do themselves any favours.

Lastly, many horses do not like large farm machinery. Tractors, combines. sprayers etc, are often huge, often taking up two thirds of a narrow country lane, and rattling and banging about, especially when pulling trailers and other machinery.
These can make even a steady horse jumpy.

So as I said in the beginning, to me, it is not cut and dry.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

They should not be allowed on the road without compulsory insurance.

It should be made a criminal offence not to have it.

Yes, I agree with that Swims.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I do not think it quite as cut and dry as to whether horses should be allowed on roads or not. I do think they should wear high viz jackets though. Wording on them isn't necessary IMO.

To me, I say it depends on the road, the traffic, the experience of the rider, the temperament of the horse, and the courtesy of both rider, and motorist.

A sensible, well trained horse who has a familiar rider he understands and trusts are likely to be safer than a young, skittish horse (perhaps a mare in season even), who leaps about at every slightest sound or movement.

Having said that, I personally have witnessed moronic drivers going up behind riders, then tooting their horns to let them know they are there, or about to overtake. How stupid is that! I can also appreciate what has been said about cyclists alarming horses.

However, I do not like to see riders going two-abreast and ignoring other road users though. Some riders definitely do not do themselves any favours.

Lastly, many horses do not like large farm machinery. Tractors, combines. sprayers etc, are often huge, often taking up two thirds of a narrow country lane, and rattling and banging about, especially when pulling trailers and other machinery.
These can make even a steady horse jumpy.

So as I said in the beginning, to me, it is not cut and dry.
Well said Mups.
The tractors around where I live are huge Teutonic things driven by youths and roar along the little back roads .
As for riders going two abreast I agree very inconsiderate -I have no bones about telling them so -all the joys of being old
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 09:43 PM

I don't mind horses on the road, we're used to them around here,but, I do wish they'd clear up their poop which sometimes is almost impossible to avoid stepping in along our narrow lanes!
Cyclists are more of a problem, riding two or three abreast and groups spreading out so you can't overtake.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-04-2017, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I don't mind horses on the road, we're used to them around here,but, I do wish they'd clear up their poop which sometimes is almost impossible to avoid stepping in along our narrow lanes!
Cyclists are more of a problem, riding two or three abreast and groups spreading out so you can't overtake.

That is true Tess. Some cyclists are pig ignorant too.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2017, 09:54 PM

Yes and their bums look gross in lycra!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2017, 08:20 AM

Im not ancient but how to deal with horses was part of my highway code lessons..

Of course if possible horses should avoid roads because it isnt nice for the horses but sometimes there is no choice and then drivers should be respectful of them.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2017, 08:36 AM

Horse poop is great for the garden though scoop it up and pop it in compost bin great accelerated .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

30-04-2017, 08:37 AM

Don't they just !
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2017, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Don't they just !
Now then ladies calm yourselves down....

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top