Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 12:22 PM

Peony query

Decided to move my Paeony because it just wasn't thriving ... too shady.
I moved it when it had just started to sprout this year and I was concerned that it might not survive.

It's now in leaf BUT the leaves are odd.

Anyone know what the problem is?

thank you

The little bits of blue are from the Ceanothus.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 12:34 PM

Re: Peony query

It looks dry and undernourished Rachel , think I might living in that soil

I recommend a good dose of compost and some blood fish and bone meal top dressing. .
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
It looks dry and undernourished Rachel , think I might living in that soil

I recommend a good dose of compost and some blood fish and bone meal top dressing. .
Lol ... thanks Meg ... it's the same soil as the rest of the garden and most things do well but I shall try feeding it AND keep the tortoise away so it's not squashed
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 12:40 PM

I agree with Meg, it looks like it needs water. That happens to my bamboo in the warm weather but the leaves open again after a drink.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

11-05-2017, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree with Meg, it looks like it needs water. That happens to my bamboo in the warm weather but the leaves open again after a drink.
The soil is looking very dry today ... will give it a good guzzle

My bamboo is rampant ... I do nothing to it and it's in danger of getting out of control.
Nice plant and I love the sound the leaves make in the breeze.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
The soil is looking very dry today ... will give it a good guzzle
Give it a bottle wine, it might cheer it up a bit.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

11-05-2017, 12:50 PM

hmmmmm ... think it's teetotal
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 01:38 PM

I agree with dongles and Meg too, Rachel.
You moved it at the start of this drought, and it looks like it hasn't been watered enough to establish itself properly.

Just a thought here too, remember when your tortoise was off colour last year, well have a look at this incase he/she nibbles the bark.

Peony, an early spring blooming shrub, has beautiful, large, colorful flowers (e.g., pink, white, red, etc.). This plant contains the toxin, paeonol, which is concentrated in the bark. When ingested in large amounts, it can cause gastrointestinal distress (e.g., vomiting, diarrhea, etc.).
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 01:38 PM

Something similar happened to one of my peonies last year. It didn't recover that year and I assumed it was some sort of virus. I dug it up and put it into a pot with new compost for this year. It seems to be doing a lot better - no crinkled leaves and plenty of buds. Don't know what it could have been causing the problem - but it is fine now. I would like it in the garden soil again but don't know where it would be best sited. I've now got two in pots and two in the ground. So far, this year the potted ones are doing a lot better than the ones in the ground.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 01:39 PM

It would me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top