Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 02:44 PM

Re: Peony query

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree with dongles and Meg too, Rachel.
You moved it at the start of this drought, and it looks like it hasn't been watered enough to establish itself properly.

Just a thought here too, remember when your tortoise was off colour last year, well have a look at this incase he/she nibbles the bark.

Peony, an early spring blooming shrub, has beautiful, large, colorful flowers (e.g., pink, white, red, etc.). This plant contains the toxin, paeonol, which is concentrated in the bark. When ingested in large amounts, it can cause gastrointestinal distress (e.g., vomiting, diarrhea, etc.).
Euwwww ... she doesn't want to eat it, she just wants to sunbathe where it is and trample on it

But thanks for the warning.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Something similar happened to one of my peonies last year. It didn't recover that year and I assumed it was some sort of virus. I dug it up and put it into a pot with new compost for this year. It seems to be doing a lot better - no crinkled leaves and plenty of buds. Don't know what it could have been causing the problem - but it is fine now. I would like it in the garden soil again but don't know where it would be best sited. I've now got two in pots and two in the ground. So far, this year the potted ones are doing a lot better than the ones in the ground.
Maybe sink the pot in the ground ?

I have no compost left but will see if I can get something and give it a mulch.

It's had a watering can of water today so far.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 02:50 PM

It might even be frost damage Rachel. We had a very severe frost a few days ago and lots of the early leaf growth on several of my plants have curled a little. The new growth since is perfectly ok.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

11-05-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
It might even be frost damage Rachel. We had a very severe frost a few days ago and lots of the early leaf growth on several of my plants have curled a little. The new growth since is perfectly ok.
Hmmmm ... don't think we've had any frost but that's a thought.

Can't see any bugs on it but the leaves are thin. Usually they are fatter.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->

Many things are certainly in need of water this year Rachel and it looks like it will be dry for a few days yet. At least pots can be well watered - just that they dry out faster in pots. I am a bit of a lazy gardener and most things have to go in the ground as I can forget about pots and watering. They usually have a better chance in the ground in my garden.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 06:35 PM

Hmmmm ... don't think we've had any frost but that's a thought.

Can't see any bugs on it but the leaves are thin. Usually they are fatter.

Still reckon it needs food and water.
It is using a lot of energy to build flowers and new leaf.

We'd go thin and start to curl up without food and water too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 06:37 PM

Not sure I'd do that, simply because how would you know if it became root bound?
Only time I might do that is with those compostable pots that gradually rot away naturally.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

11-05-2017, 09:56 PM

Having watered it lots today and bunged on a grassy mulch (only stuff I could find)

It's now raining
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

11-05-2017, 09:58 PM

Having watered it lots today and bunged on a grassy mulch (only stuff I could find)

It's now raining

Sod's Law ey.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

11-05-2017, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Sod's Law ey.
Yep ... but a welcome intervention

AND not tap water

euwwwww ... possibly polluted rain as it cometh through gawd knows what

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top