Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 04:38 PM

Re: Circuit breakers

Are you going to put your bill in later Judd?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 04:54 PM

Could do Mups.

Well I am retired so it gives me summat to do (within reason)
RossT
New Member!
oxford uk
RossT is male 

13-05-2017, 06:04 PM

Yes, it does seem as if the electrician I used back in 1993 cut some corners. He was (supposedly) a pro, and I know he was trained on a nearby Ministry of Defence site. I think he's employed pushing up daisys now.

Given that the steel earth spike is 50 years old, I'd suspect that much of it will now be non-conducting rust
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by RossT ->
Yes, it does seem as if the electrician I used back in 1993 cut some corners. He was (supposedly) a pro, and I know he was trained on a nearby Ministry of Defence site. I think he's employed pushing up daisys now.

Given that the steel earth spike is 50 years old, I'd suspect that much of it will now be non-conducting rust
You could always see if PME (Protective Multiple Earth) is available in your area. This is a system that uses your incoming neutral as an earth since earth and neutral are connected together at the sub-station. You would need to upgrade the sizes of your earthing on the off-chance that the neutral becomes broken somewhere on the supply line as your earth would then act as a return path instead of the neutral.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2017, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
That's not a bad sign then. There should be `discrimination` between the two devices, i.e. the tripping of the downstream protection device, fuse or RCD, shouldn't affect the main safety device.

As a side note - those of you who have bought `anti-surge` sockets to prevent damage to PCs, TVs etc should not be using more than two at any one time if you have RCDs fitted in your consumer unit. These have a designed leakage current built into them and if using too many that leakage current could trip your RCDs off.
Thanks Judd. Nice to know I'm protected should I fall in the pond with my lawnmower. Cheers mate.
RossT
New Member!
oxford uk
RossT is male 

14-05-2017, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You could always see if PME (Protective Multiple Earth) is available in your area.
Yes, I'll contact the supplier. I tend to suspect that I really ought to budget for getting a new consumer unit installed in the not too distant future, getting rid of the ELCB and bring things up to code .

Isn't it curious that we have to have our cars MoT'd every year, but our home electrics have no scheduled checks on them at all.

Thanks for the advice

R

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top