Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 08:09 PM

Locked out of PC

Just had a panic phone call from a friend - she is locked out of her computer. She has tried every combination of her password and it still says Locked. Cannot access anything to even do a system restore. I have no idea as it has never happened to me,

Any suggestions (other than a very large hammer) would be appreciated.

She is operating on Windows 7.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 08:22 PM

Re: Locked out of PC

Tell your friend to re-boot her PC and as it shuts down and begins to start again to keep pressing the F8 key on her keypad (this might not work if her keyboard has a USB connection). She should be presented with a menu and a few choices of action which can be selected using the up and down arrows on her keypad. The one(s) she is interested in is `Last known good configuration` select the option with the up and down arrows then press enter/return.

If all is well the computer should boot up. If not, try the same procedure again but this time boot into `Safe Mode` and then run any anti-virus program just in case her system has been compromised.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 08:24 PM

Thank you, Judd. She is terrified of the beast - so I rather think it will fall to me to fix it for her - I will print this out and take it with me.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Tell your friend to re-boot her PC and as it shuts down and begins to start again to keep pressing the F8 key on her keypad (this might not work if her keyboard has a USB connection). She should be presented with a menu and a few choices of action which can be selected using the up and down arrows on her keypad. The one(s) she is interested in is `Last known good configuration` select the option with the up and down arrows then press enter/return.

If all is well the computer should boot up. If not, try the same procedure again but this time boot into `Safe Mode` and then run any anti-virus program just in case her system has been compromised.
Boot back in safe mode as Judd said..then do a restore
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 09:31 PM

I must say you are not just a pretty face young Judsy, I do believe you are quite a clever old stick as well.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 10:18 PM

I will be if it works
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

17-05-2017, 10:24 PM

I'll just give everyone a tip while I'm here. Create at least two accounts on your PC one of which should be a passworded Administrator account. This will set up a series of extra folders on your PC which are separate and inaccessible from the other account. Do not use this account until disaster strikes, you can then boot into the Admin account and run Anti-virus/malware from it or access the internet to download anti-hijack and root-kit software.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 10:47 PM

I'll just give everyone a tip while I'm here. Create at least two accounts on your PC one of which should be a passworded Administrator account. This will set up a series of extra folders on your PC which are separate and inaccessible from the other account. Do not use this account until disaster strikes, you can then boot into the Admin account and run Anti-virus/malware from it or access the internet to download anti-hijack and root-kit software.

Thank you dear, but you might as well be talking Chinese for all I understood of that.

Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 10:52 PM

Don't feel too bad Mups ... I got confused too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-05-2017, 10:59 PM

That's comforting Mort.

I'm beginning to think Judd's just inventing this stuff to look intelligent.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top