Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 10:39 PM

Internet Bots..

Just seen this on the news
We have them on here .......

Who ARE they?
What are they posting?!!!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 10:49 PM

Re: Internet Bots..

I presume you mean Botnets? Small programs designed to infiltrate and infect PCs so that they can be used as methods of distributing Spam without the PC owner knowing about it.

Affective anti-virus and anti-malware should prevent them.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 10:50 PM

Oh and the rest it seems!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 10:55 PM

Judd, I think I would like you to be 'Head of Technology.'

Now you have retired, you will have the time, plus it will keep you out of mischief as we will know where you are.

The only down side is, the pay is rubbish. We do however, have a splendid Christmas party.

What d'yer think?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 03:27 AM

All you need to know here.

I thought it was an odd username

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_bot
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 11:41 AM

There are all kinds of bots on the internet. They are just computer programs. They can be used for all sorts of things.

There are bots which search for forums like this one and pretend to be a human and attempt to create an account. If successful they generally create posts in every thread of the forum advertising products/services.

There are bots prevalent throughout the entire online gaming industry. So that means bots are being used for online poker, chess, backgammon, bingo and just about everything else. This is a prime reason why you should never play online games for money, ever. They are all corrupt, all rigged, and all infested with bots. Despite this millions of naïve punters lose their money every day to these online gaming con merchants.

You can often catch a bot at work in the gaming world if the interface lets you chat to other players. Just ask a simple question in the chat window to the suspected bot player like "Hi, can you name me a fruit"? A bot will of course stay silent.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 12:05 PM

There are good bots of course .

For instance how does this forum attract visitors? If it had to rely on word of mouth it wouldn't last long - or at least it wouldn't have anything like the number of members it has now - or would it generate much of an income either. Step in Google Bot.

Whenever a new thread is created, or a new reply come to that, the Google Bot comes along and scans the content of the page. This is then added to the growing list of other pages that Google has in store. So, should someone search for a particular topic there is a good chance this forum will be in the results.

Google ranks sites and the best end up on page one of a search result. To see the pages that Google has listed of this site use this link:

Over 50s Forum Results
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ht...er50sforum.com

Or if the above doesn't work for you enter this in a Google search ...
site:http://www.over50sforum.com

You can filter the results down to the last 24 hours. Doing so will show you the latest pages Google has visited and logged.

There are all sorts of bots form many different countries that do a similar job.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 02:45 PM

I like to run "Spybot Search & Destroy" about once a week.
It's a free download - and not expensive to get the paid version.

It seems to get them all!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
There are good bots of course .

If I haven't specifically invited them onto my PC they are trespassing!

That can never be "Good".

However, if a "botter" offered to pay me to be tracked I could work out a suitable fee....!-

In the meantime - he's a crook in my book!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

18-05-2017, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I like to run "Spybot Search & Destroy" about once a week.
It's a free download - and not expensive to get the paid version.

It seems to get them all!
Ooh that's sounds like fun!
I have visions of PacMan on the screen!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top