Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 10:23 PM

Re: camera memory cards

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
correct Tachyon
however this I mentioned was the basic easy way for members to understand for memory card recovery not hard drive or anything else
"The only way to completely clear them is by formatting" is simply not true though, not for any current storage medium. Format your memory card, hard drive, SD card or whatever and data is still there to be recovered.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 10:28 PM

The heading is camera memory cards .
Keeping things simple and not getting too technical is often best
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
"The only way to completely clear them is by formatting" is simply not true though, not for any current storage medium. Format your memory card, hard drive, SD card or whatever and data is still there to be recovered.
Tachyon speaks the truth Realspeed, you would do well to heed his advice.

Formatting a memory card, or PC hard disk WILL NOT delete the content, it will simply flag the content as being available for re-use.

The only way to ensure that any content is completely eradicated, on any media, is to first delete the content you want rid of, and then fill the medium (memory card, hard disk etc) with lots of other content until it is full up.

The easiest way to do that is to get hold of a large video clip. Copy it repeatedly to the media using different filenames each time until the entire card or disk is full.

Only then can you be sure that the original content is gone.
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
The heading is camera memory cards .
Keeping things simple and not getting too technical is often best
You aren't getting what I am saying. Keeping it simple and not getting technical is often best - IF what you are telling people is factually accurate. The SD Cards used in cameras (and mobile phones), are the same as EVERY other medium of storage around today, and ARE NOT ERASED if you format them. SD Cards are not a magical exception to this rule, despite what you think. I've already explained this but I thought it merited mentioning again.

I have had a computer of one sort or another in my home since 1978, which is 39 years of tinkering with both hardware and software as well as building and repairing them and I do know what I am talking about.
Tachyon

20-05-2017, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Tachyon speaks the truth Realspeed, you would do well to heed his advice.
Thank you, Realist!

What you say is correct about overwriting data is the way to go in order to eradicate sensitive data. This is a must-do if you intend to hand on an old hard drive - or SD Card - to someone else for them to use. It pays to be cautious these days.

As a further tip to people, an alternative to the method of copying large files over in order to overwrite sensitive data is using software that will do all the overwriting for you. If you are really security conscious you can set it to do multiple passes! Hunt around for free ones such as CCleaner to save a few bob.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2017, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Of course it doesn't remove them. This is general computing knowledge! Hard drives are the same, as were the old style 5¼ inch and 3½ inch floppy drives. Flash drives and SD cards are the same as well. When you delete a file you are effectively just removing the Shortcut.

It's a popular misconception that formatting a drive erases data - it doesn't. All it does is remove the Address Tables. (If a drive was a book you'd just be tearing out the contents page.) I frequently recovered data from drives that were accidentally formatted when I helped out in a computer shop. It takes time but not much actual effort. A friend of mine recommended Spinrite a few years ago and it became an invaluable too for us. Just Google for Data Recovery Software and you'll find that as well as other software, very often for free.
Spot on Tachyon!

Data can be recovered even after a few "overwrites".

I use a ministry standard program called DBAN (free!) to wipe hard drives & stuff. That will keep my bank accounts from leaking out!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top