Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 08:24 PM

Peonies

Ok we have four Peony plants. The one in the front garden is already flowering, the one planted in the back has buds. But the two I have in pots on the patio have never flowered.

I just wondered is that because they are in pots? I was thinking of planting them out to see if it will happen. Does anyone here have luck with these beautiful plants?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 08:32 PM

Re: Peonies

I have only Peony, Annie, and it is still in bud at the mo.
Mine is in the ground though. I can't remember the name of it now, but it is a beautiful very pale creamy pink.
Just had a quick look, and counted 25 buds on it at the moment. Will try and get a picture for you when it opens up.

There is a lot of info here on the RHS website that might help you:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=671

I want to get another one, I have been meaning to treat myself to the 'Bowl of Beauty' which I have loved for ages and still haven't got one.

I might send for one of Sarah Ravens like this. Tell me what you think. :

https://www.sarahraven.com/flowers/p...8465a7f9df.htm
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 11:14 PM

Thank you for the info Mups - 25 buds is a great success! You must be doing something right Mups

RHS says they are not suited for containers, obviously where I am going wrong! So I think maybe I will put the potted plants in the ground and hope for a miracle. I have about five buds on the most prolific one this year. I haven't looked closely at the front garden flowers as I have to go there and weed extensively tomorrow so am avoiding the area... What is it about this weather that makes things sprout overnight? If only the slugs would devour the weeds.

The bowl of beauty would really complement a pale pink variety. Are you thinking of planting them in the same area?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Thank you for the info Mups - 25 buds is a great success! You must be doing something right Mups

RHS says they are not suited for containers, obviously where I am going wrong! So I think maybe I will put the potted plants in the ground and hope for a miracle. I have about five buds on the most prolific one this year. I haven't looked closely at the front garden flowers as I have to go there and weed extensively tomorrow so am avoiding the area... What is it about this weather that makes things sprout overnight? If only the slugs would devour the weeds.

The bowl of beauty would really complement a pale pink variety. Are you thinking of planting them in the same area?

Not sure yet Annie. Haven't really got room for another Peony unless I dig something else up, so I will have to give it some thought.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

27-05-2017, 10:03 PM

Here is the one Peony plant that is thriving Mups, the sum total of one glorious bloom :

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

27-05-2017, 10:05 PM

That's a pretty colour Annie.
Perhaps you'll get more blooms next year.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

06-06-2017, 11:33 AM

Annie, my lovely Darcey Bussel rose in the foreground, then the Peony is next to it, followed by a beautiful rose in the background called "Love Always."

Here's a slightly better one. I love this Peony, and it smells beautiful too.

Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Here is the one Peony plant that is thriving Mups, the sum total of one glorious bloom :

Gosh ... amazing colour Annie

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Annie, my lovely Darcey Bussel rose in the foreground, then the Peony is next to it, followed by a beautiful rose in the background called "Love Always."

Here's a slightly better one. I love this Peony, and it smells beautiful too.

That's a nice delicate, understated colour

I remember that, as a child, my parents had 2 bushes either side of the front gate ... the flowers smelled wonderful, but the stems were usually crawling with ants.

I'm hoping, now that mine seems to be looking healthier, I might actually get flowers on it one day too
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

06-06-2017, 02:53 PM

Thanks Rachel. I can't really do it justice, but it is a really lovely soft colour, smells wonderful and has 25 buds this year.
Only thing is, I keep putting more canes in because this wind and rain are battering it now.
Wait a flippin' year for these flowers, then this happens!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

06-06-2017, 07:57 PM

wow Mups! Your peonies are amazing! What a beautiful display.

I am going to have one more bloom on the other plant, this time in the back garden and a pinky white. I will post a photo once it makes it's mind up. Hopefully it will survive the torrential rain and wind. One of my geraniums was nearly uprooted today

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top