Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 03:27 AM

Re: BA and its IT failure

Hi

Firstly, BA is now longer a UK Company, owned by the Spanish.

It is however one of strategic interest, so the UK Government has a veto over certain things, including IT Systems.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/0...vered_letters/
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Firstly, BA is now longer a UK Company, owned by the Spanish.

It is however one of strategic interest, so the UK Government has a veto over certain things, including IT Systems.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/0...vered_letters/
Very telling link, Swim.

I think we can now rule out the "Power Surge" which the BA boss suggested.

After all this time we have to think of bad updating or Virus?

Hope this is not an action by unhappy employees.(saw one of those back in the day!)

We'll, probably, never be told!!!

Papers seem be implying that it is only BA & is "all over the world".
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
i used tp work for BT and had many times worked in large organisations and everyone had some sort of backup power supply.
Think what would happen in a hospital that didn't have backup power, or better not think about it.

I absolutely hate those at the top who automatically move out of one top job to another. We had them in BT as well, never kicked out (or sacked as we know it) but moved sideways to get them out of the way.
This is one I had the misfortune to meet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millie_Banerjee

She turned up at our yard carrying tools and DEMANDED that the store keeper told her who owned them, there were about 200 engineers working out of there at the time.

Said to him if you don't find out and tell me by the end of the day you can come to croydon head office and get your cards. She was evil to say the least.

The store keeper (tom) just smiled and asked where she got them from. She said she saw a workmans tent in Epsom high street ,looked inside and as no one there gathered up the tools for safe keeping and took them home

He did point out that this was BT and those were gas fitters tools,another company he gently explained. She stormed out and like any company with engineers fax started to circulated of a little Indian women carrying a bag with GAS on the side. it got to chairmans office and she was moved sideways to another district pretty damn quick.

look at how often she has been moved on in the link
A degree in Zooology and worked for BT, that must say something
loved that. I believe the Peter Principle was working here.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 12:39 PM

BA Response Today!

A visiting (non BA) service engineer turned the Power Off and then, turned it back on!

How convenient!

Wonder what supervision was in place?

What sort of warning notices?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 01:35 PM

All over the World?
UPS would have taken over and generator started anyway.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 04:45 PM

I wonder where that engineer will be working next?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 04:54 PM

I would have thought that critical computer systems would have a protected power supply? Surely it wasn't just plugged into a wall socket?
matchpoint
London
matchpoint is male 

06-06-2017, 05:02 PM

Every machine inside a DataCentre will have dual power supply (or redundant ps) - thats "one dies" the other one supplies for a limited amount of time.
BUT in India anything goes.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 05:08 PM

Was not in India and I have found out a bit more about this, apparently it is possible that if the power is turned off by mistake and then turned on again by a panicky operative it is possible for 480v to be feeding the data centre.
Still does not explain why the backup data centre fell over though, more info can be found here; http://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/brewer...r-and-sons.htm

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top