Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 03:27 PM

Re: Phantom programmes running?

Have you ever read one of the articles on disabling Windows 10 features, like this one:

Everything You Need to Disable in Windows 10

https://windows.gadgethacks.com/how-...ws-10-0163552/

They can be very helpful .....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Everything You Need to Disable in Windows 10

https://windows.gadgethacks.com/how-...ws-10-0163552/

They can be very helpful .....
As it happens I was using that and others this week as my wife has just got a new latop that had Win 10 pre-installed.

I spent some 3-4 hours going through all the Win 10 settings and mostly turning everything off. A ridiculous amount of privacy settings and the like need to be disabled imo.

Turned off/disabled Windows Updates at least on a temporary basis. I know MS will force her to take the updates at some stage but my changes ensure that we control when that happens.

Added a load of websites to the hosts file so that they are blocked.

Added anti-virus and firewall and blocked lots of domians there too.

Disabled the plethora of Add-ons that were pre-installed/enabled.

Changed all the browser settings to ensure good security.

Created a new partition on the hard drive

Created 2 users accounts, 1 admin the other not

and so on

Just took all night but absolutely has to be done to protect oneself from both tracking, advertisements and general risks of virus/malware.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
On my system (W10) Calculator is not visible in Task Manager/Processes

When I start Calculator, it appears under Task Manager/Processes/Apps but nowhere else under Processes

When I close Calculator, it disappears from Task Manager/Processes/Apps and appears nowhere else under Processes

ETA Have you re-booted?
This is what happens with my computer, whether the calculator is set as a running background App or not (before and after rebooting). The fact that JBR's system doesn't behave in the same way might be a fault of some kind. I'm not sure what would be the cause of it though.

Open a program/App showing in the list and then try closing it using 'Alt+F4' on the keyboard to see if that shuts it down properly.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
This is what happens with my computer, whether the calculator is set as a running background App or not (before and after rebooting). The fact that JBR's system doesn't behave in the same way might be a fault of some kind. I'm not sure what would be the cause of it though.
That's why I suggested going through the complete list of disablements - you and I may have another setting disabled elsewhere .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 05:39 PM

Open a program/App showing in the list and then try closing it using 'Alt+F4' on the keyboard to see if that shuts it down properly.
Just rebooted my laptop to find:
- Calculator
- Films & TV
- Photos
all still running.

I opened Calculator and Photos and shut each down using Alt+F4, as you suggested, all to no effect.

I suppose it isn't exactly a disaster: everything else works properly, but still a bit worrying. If anyone has any more suggestions, I'd be very grateful to hear them.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 05:53 PM

Does highlighting one of the programs and clicking the 'End Task' button shut it down?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 06:02 PM

Does highlighting one of the programs and clicking the 'End Task' button shut it down?
Oh yes. That's what I did at first but...

like poltergeists, they always come back!

I have now, however, typed 'Start' in the Cortana search thing and selected 'Start settings'. In there, I turned off:
- Show most used apps, and
- Show recently added apps

Now, when I open Task Manager, only Chrome is shown as running.

I'll keep an eye on this when I next re-boot or start up and see what happens.

I have to say that I keep finding niggles like this with Windows 10. In my opinion, Windows 7 was a far superior operating system and, if I could, I'd go straight back to it!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-06-2017, 07:38 PM

No. They're back!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

02-06-2017, 08:17 PM

I haven't got this problem and can't reproduce it ..and this makes suggestions of what to try difficult. However, I came across this thread that might help. It is about 18 months old but might still be relevant. The last poster says what worked for him but have a read of the whole page:

https://superuser.com/questions/9582...ound-processes

I've had a look around the Internet for a deal on buying Windows 7. There does seem to be ways of going back to Windows 7 but none look reliable ..what with needing a licence to activate the OS. It looks like an OEM copy might be OK to use and some of those are quite inexpensive.

Failing a cure (and not going back to W.7), I'd be inclined to do a clean installation of W.10. Clean installations of new Microsoft operating systems always were better than upgrading an existing OS.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-06-2017, 08:52 PM

I haven't got this problem and can't reproduce it ..and this makes suggestions of what to try difficult. However, I came across this thread that might help. It is about 18 months old but might still be relevant. The last poster says what worked for him but have a read of the whole page:

https://superuser.com/questions/9582...ound-processes

I've had a look around the Internet for a deal on buying Windows 7. There does seem to be ways of going back to Windows 7 but none look reliable ..what with needing a licence to activate the OS. It looks like an OEM copy might be OK to use and some of those are quite inexpensive.

Failing a cure (and not going back to W.7), I'd be inclined to do a clean installation of W.10. Clean installations of new Microsoft operating systems always were better than upgrading an existing OS.
I can close these background programmes quite easily by doing so in Task Manager, although I'd rather not have to do this every time.

I'd rather not do a clean installation of Windows 10, as I assume I'd have to re-install all my programmes and files. This is only an option I'd consider if W10 was corrupted in some way and failing to operate properly.

As for W7, yes, I'd go back without hesitation if there was a safe way of doing so. The more I see of W10, the more I dislike it and I can think of no advantage of it over W7.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top