Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2017, 04:06 PM

Re: Plants from Supermarkets

I had this affair with `Eva purple ball` I tied her to a stake.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 09:53 PM

Hi

My latest weird veg.

Melothria scabra.

http://homegrown-revolution.co.uk/sa...ng-cucamelons/
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My latest weird veg.

Melothria scabra.

http://homegrown-revolution.co.uk/sa...ng-cucamelons/
Oooh err
I like the look of them!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Oooh err
I like the look of them!
Hi

They go well with cheese.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I have changed my profile picture.
I'll have double of whatever OG is on please!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Most are half dead outside the store....
I don't know why but I find it very upsetting when supermarket or DIY shop staff leave plants to die by neglecting to water them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I also agree that B&Q and Homebase have some good healthy plants at reasonable prices, normally half the price of the nurseries. The trick though with B&Q is to buy them early in the season because once their stock increases and the warmer weather arrives, the staff can't seem to keep up with looking after them.

I have bought a couple of Acers from Tescos in the past and I still have them 10 years on.

For indoor plants you can't beat IKEA for quality although choice is limited.
I used to buy my plants from homebase but they keep closing stores and the one still open you have to pay to park if you don't buy anything (grr). They probably have the best selection of strong healthy plants outside of the garden centre. B&Q as you say don't look after the plants and their plants don't seem to fare as well.

The good thing about upermarket plants is that it encourages people who may not otherwise start gardening to do so.

Ikea are good for lucky bamboo, prolific Christmas cacti and very cheap orchids. I dread to think how they are produced. At least with orchids you can keep them for years and they will keep flowering if you find the right spot in your house.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 08:41 AM

I often stop at morrisons have a look at the reduced plants that are near death I've bought quite a few and with a bit of love they've come good. 50p is most I've paid for them, huge purple clematis is doing far better than the garden centre plant we got same week, bare root climbing roses are going great guns up our obelisks, antirynums are blooming lovely saved 5 put of 6 of an almost dead pot. Perpetual wallflowers are doing great too and I remember my husbands face when I brought home the bare sticks in a pot, the pice of them was 10p each we saved all four of them.

Should they half kill plants ? Of course not but loving a bargain or if you don't have much money I'd recommend them.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 08:45 AM

I buy virtually all my plants from Morrisons - they've really taken over from garden centres here and the quality is usually excellent.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 08:47 AM

Yes they do have lots of great quality plants too I just look for those need saving

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top