Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 08:49 AM

Re: Plants from Supermarkets

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I used to buy my plants from homebase but they keep closing stores and the one still open you have to pay to park if you don't buy anything (grr). They probably have the best selection of strong healthy plants outside of the garden centre. B&Q as you say don't look after the plants and their plants don't seem to fare as well.

The good thing about upermarket plants is that it encourages people who may not otherwise start gardening to do so.

Ikea are good for lucky bamboo, prolific Christmas cacti and very cheap orchids. I dread to think how they are produced. At least with orchids you can keep them for years and they will keep flowering if you find the right spot in your house.
Yes Annie, I like homebase too but the nearest one to me is closing later this year and lidl is taking the site, I will miss it I know. I wish I had room for a greenhouse I would grow my own
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 05:07 PM

I used to buy the cheapest plants I could find and they never gave me a good show.
Two years ago I found a lovely little local garden centre a couple of miles from me and she told me how the supermarkets bought all their plants in from abroad.

She grew all her own annuals and hardened them off in a cold greenhouse before selling them. They are large sturdy plants and give a great display every year. Though last week in B&Q I did almost cheat on her when I saw their petunias
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cedronella ->
I used to buy the cheapest plants I could find and they never gave me a good show.
Two years ago I found a lovely little local garden centre a couple of miles from me and she told me how the supermarkets bought all their plants in from abroad.

She grew all her own annuals and hardened them off in a cold greenhouse before selling them. They are large sturdy plants and give a great display every year. Though last week in B&Q I did almost cheat on her when I saw their petunias

Have you seen the new Petunia called 'Night Sky' that is being sold now? It is very striking, being a rich, dark purple with white splashes all over it, like someone's flicked white paint at it, it's lovely.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 05:36 AM

Bought some petunias from Waitrose yesterday bright red .
They are for my Dads grave for Father's Day .
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Have you seen the new Petunia called 'Night Sky' that is being sold now? It is very striking, being a rich, dark purple with white splashes all over it, like someone's flicked white paint at it, it's lovely.
Oh gosh - I saw a picture of it a couple of weeks back.
It's gorgeous!
It would be my luck though that it would just be a purple mess if I tried it here!

I love petunias, as they are one of the few annuals that do really well here. I'll stick with my dark purple velvety ones with white mixed in. They never fail me.
I probably just jinxed that!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 07:25 AM

Not seen night sky, I will look out for it.

I love petunias too I buy trailing ones for hanging baskets they always give a good show such a splash of colour.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 07:29 AM

I get the trailing ones too - they're called the 'wave' here - they probably add a few more bucks to it because of that!!
But we have such a short growing season, I'll take it!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire

11-06-2017, 07:32 AM

They flower all summer though right into autumn so I think they are worth it.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada

11-06-2017, 07:35 AM

Dang tooting!
Now, if only the weather would cooperate here!
Hope you get a gorgeous display!
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes Mups, I was at a farm shop last week and they had them in hanging baskets, I loved them!

You have to keep on top of the dead heading with petunias though. Every night when I go out to water baskets and tubs, I take my scissors and off with their heads

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top