Join for free
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 12:53 PM

Storage Transfer.

My desktop PC is due for the chop, but the HD D drive has files various (C has only software). My new laptop (W10/64Pr0) has a 1TB HD, but I want to transfer the old D contents to a 1TB stick to keep it remote, and use that as a D drive with the laptop. Otherwise, I could take out the old D and put in a case, but there is the problem of connexions - mains and USB.

I favour the stick approach, but any potential minefields ?
Thanks in advance.
Mike
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 01:04 PM

Re: Storage Transfer.

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
My desktop PC is due for the chop, but the HD D drive has files various (C has only software). My new laptop (W10/64Pr0) has a 1TB HD, but I want to transfer the old D contents to a 1TB stick to keep it remote, and use that as a D drive with the laptop. Otherwise, I could take out the old D and put in a case, but there is the problem of connexions - mains and USB.

I favour the stick approach, but any potential minefields ?
Thanks in advance.
Mike
Personally I wouldn't entrust important files to a stick only. These are not invulnerable and can quite easily break. Same it is with any sensitive data in that multiple backups is the best approach.

I run a server and I make backups at least 2x week. These reside on the server - a computer hard drive and an external hard drive - 3 in all. This approach has bailed me out a few times. So, with regard to your problem I would probably acquire an external hard drive AND a stick. The stick would travel well and the external hard drive could act as another safeguard.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 01:12 PM

Not sure you can get a 1Tb stick as yet. I put the old drive out of my PC into a new enclosure with its own power supply and use a USB connection to transfer any files.

Something like this may suit your purpose?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comput...63634-pdt.html
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 01:51 PM

Yeah just get an external USB 1TB hard drive, or get 2 even. They're pretty cheap these days.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 01:58 PM

Memory sticks are very convenient but can be quite high risk as a location for backing up.

I've found it very easy to whip the stick out before the PC tells me it can be removed safely.

The time is noticeably longer the bigger the file gets.

If it is not dismounted properly much of the data can be lost (as I have found out to my cost) or, the drive can be damaged.

I now use an external 2TB USB 3.0 drive and keep my copies and backups safely on there, after all, a USB 3.0 Drive runs at, pretty much, the same transfer speed as a USB 3.0 memory stick.

Next move will be to replace my external USB drive with another SSD.(My Main PCs are now on SSDs) - you can get an adapter to hook an SSD into your USB socket without having to provide separate power, etc.

I have a few Sticks which I use for non critical stuff.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top