Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 01:29 PM

Re: Boiler service

I have a Halstead boiler it's been in 8 yrs . I have a contract with southern electric who service it yearly . Yes I know it costs me £22 per month , I know it's a lot , but they will come out in 24 hrs or so if it breaks . Each time the service engineer comes to service it he tells me it's a rubbish boiler and could be a problem in the near future and never buy a Halstead ever again etc etc , but it's never really caused me problems ( touch wood ) . I'm too scared to stop the contract in case it does become a problem and could cost me a lot more .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 01:56 PM

Re: Boiler service

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I have a Halstead boiler it's been in 8 yrs . I have a contract with southern electric who service it yearly . Yes I know it costs me £22 per month , I know it's a lot , but they will come out in 24 hrs or so if it breaks . Each time the service engineer comes to service it he tells me it's a rubbish boiler and could be a problem in the near future and never buy a Halstead ever again etc etc , but it's never really caused me problems ( touch wood ) . I'm too scared to stop the contract in case it does become a problem and could cost me a lot more .
Until we got this new boiler, we had a similar service and maintenance contract at about the same price.

I think such contracts are a bit of a gamble.

Like you, you can be lucky and not need any repairs, but at least you have peace of mind.

On the other hand, like me, you can be unlucky and have a number of recurring problems and these are fixed free of charge.

It has been suggested (elsewhere) that if you are finding your boiler to not be problematic, as in your case, it could be worth just paying for an annual service and taking the slight risk of having to pay for any repairs yourself.

Even if your boiler has been OK up until now, if it is old I think I'd keep the service and maintenance contract.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top