Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 10:26 PM

Re: Roses

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hi Ruthio,

I would put a sprinkling of "Top Rose" around the base of the plants every spring, then hoe and water it in.
Do the same again around July time.

In between I'd probably give a liquid tomato feed every now and then too. Roses are quite hungry feeders.

If they are in tubs, like a lot of mine are, I change the top 3" or so of compost every year too, checking for Vine Weeval at the same time.

Don't forget to keep dead heading, too, it'll help make more blooms come.
I'll make a note of them tips Mups ....
As it is I went into my garden today and told my specimen in no uncertain terms it was a pathetic beast and it had better buck up. When the greenfly jeered back at me it meant war!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 10:28 PM

I generally tell my plants "thrive or die!" but sometimes I make exceptions
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 10:34 PM

Another stunning display Mups! although I am a bit worried about you dead-heading at such a height. Do they do telescopic secateurs?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Another stunning display Mups! although I am a bit worried about you dead-heading at such a height. Do they do telescopic secateurs?

Haha, I can only reach so far Annie. The higher ones get a rather clumsy chop with my loppers until later in the year when I prune it down properly.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 03:06 PM

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 03:15 PM

Lovely colour realspeed
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Lovely colour realspeed

Yes, it is.

Is it very fragrant Bazza?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, it is.

Is it very fragrant Bazza?
No idea don't suspect so

see "correct in camera colour" in technology section
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 04:52 PM

Lovely pictures, I do love roses. I feed my roses in the spring as buds start to form and pick off any greenfly. I have been known to transfer ladybirds onto the roses as their larva eat greenfly. I don't usually have any problems with my shrub roses those giants take care of themselves.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Mups that's just gorgeous!
I've had to move a few roses, they've survived but I'm told I should feed them...any idea what with?
I dug in bone meal into the earth where they were transferred to...
Old bananas and skins.(true)
They feed on the potassium.
If you don't eat bananas no worries there is a feed.
We always have a couple of over ripe bananas at the end of the week I chop them up and place at the base and it just seeps in the soil when I water.
Mine are glorious this year and all whites and reds.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top