Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 03:21 PM

correct in camera colour

With Nikon i have always had a problem with the colour red. Why i don't really know but I have found the solution.
It is using an " Expodisc"

So what is it? Well it is a clever honeycomb filter the clips on the the front of a lens.

All explained in this link

https://www.expodisc.com/

Yes i was sceptical about it but thought I would give it a try and yes I have to admit it works.

Just taken this of red roses a colour I would have found very hard if not impossible to capture otherwise

hese examples as just to show colour nothing else and bottom one straight from camera apart from resize
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 03:24 PM

Re: correct in camera colour

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
With Nikon i have always had a problem with the colour red. Why i don't really know but I have found the solution.
It is using an " Expodisc"

So what is it? Well it is a clever honeycomb filter the clips on the the front of a lens.

All explained in this link

https://www.expodisc.com/

Yes i was sceptical about it but thought I would give it a try and yes I have to admit it works.

Just taken this of red roses a colour I would have found very hard if not impossible to capture otherwise
Crikey ... they are INCREDIBLY vibrant but part of that will be the contrasting colours (green/red).

How would it have looked without the filter?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 03:43 PM

Rachel the filter is not left on the front of the lens. Just as you have presets ie AWB- shade- sun- flash etc this adds another varient in the preset section of DSLR cameras.
How it works is any photo as you know is worked out in grey and 18% grey is the correct amount, all colours a camera are based on this 18%.

Unfortunately most cameras are set well outside this amount therefore not do not produce the correct colour.
With the expodisc I had what it was calibrated to which was 17.8% which nigh on the 18% needed

So you set a camera up as normal pointing to the light source and take a photo. Then do the same in a preset mode with the disc clipped to the lens and adjust the setting in the viewfinder and take a shot. That results in a grey picture if seen on the screen. That is the new camera setting like the others so as long as that preset is left you can then take a photo as normal as that preset 18% grey is the basic grey the camera works to. if that makes any sense.

plenty of videos here on how what and why

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=expodisc

Don't get confused between colour and light which is easy to do, you have to think of them as completely different and unrelated

camera ones like AWB-sun- shade -flash etc are light based
Expodisc is colour based
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 03:48 PM

Rachel the filter is not left on the front of the lens. Just as you have presets ie AWB- shade- sun- flash etc this adds another varient in the preset section of DSLR cameras.
How it works is any photo as you know is worked out in grey and 18% grey is the correct amount, all colours a camera are based on this 18%.

Unfortunately most cameras are set well outside this amount therefore not do not produce the correct colour.
With the expodisc I had what it was calibrated to which was 17.8% which nigh on the 18% needed

So you set a camera up as normal pointing to the light source and take a photo. Then do the same in a preset mode with the disc clipped to the lens and adjust the setting in the viewfinder and take a shot. That results in a grey picture if seen on the screen. That is the new camera setting like the others so as long as that preset is left you can then take a photo as normal as that preset 18% grey is the basic grey the camera works to. if that makes any sense.

plenty of videos here on how what and why

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=expodisc
*sobs uncontrollably*

'twas but a wee query

The peachy colour looks pretty good to me but I'd have just recoloured using photoshop, if necessary
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

10-06-2017, 03:50 PM

Ok try doing 500 photos in editing, think how long that would take, using this expodisc cuts all that out

Well worth the money for around £37
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

10-06-2017, 03:54 PM

Ok try doing 500 photos in editing, think how long that would take, using this expodisc cuts all that out
ah yes colourising 500 pics would take an amount of time but ... erm ...

If you don't mind my observation, that red looks artificial

*ducks for cover*
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

10-06-2017, 04:06 PM

Not artificial. they are really that red which is why I used them to test the red problem I have had before.

just taken with uncalibrated camcorder

here is a lack of colour in the video from my camcorder , it is uncalibrated against the still photo. Even the brick path show the difference.

Yes if you just saw the video looks ok I agree but until against the true colour and the red it is way out
Remember we are talking colour not light, even I have trouble getting my head around the difference
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

10-06-2017, 04:15 PM

Hmmmmm

Here's a poppy from a couple of years ago which was growing by the shed.

Can't locate the original pic ... internet is still iffy but it was a very wishy washy pinkish colour.

This is a colourised version ... slightly 'paintily' but that's what I wanted and it has 'movement' I think

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

10-06-2017, 04:28 PM

Nothing wrong in editing colour in/out, but I am after getting it right colour in camera first
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

10-06-2017, 04:34 PM

Nothing wrong in editing colour in/out, but I am after getting it right colour in camera first
yep

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top