Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 12:48 PM

Would You Give Your Pets/Animals Out Of Date Food?

I have a bag of Layers Pellets that have just gone out of date and wonder if they would still be ok to feed to my hens?

Have You, or would you be happy to feed your pets/animals out of date food?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 12:53 PM

Re: Would You Give Your Pets/Animals Out Of Date Food?

Yes, if it just slightly out of date but not if it involves fresh meat.

My Nan used to give my Granddad out of date food all the time and he lived to 89.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 12:54 PM

Depends how out of date, Art.
Are we talking about days or months?
Also, what quantity of food? Something that will just make a meal or two, or a sack full which will take months to use up, because by then it would be a lot more out of date.

Thing is, with poultry, it is not just about what to feed them - because you are feeding yourself too, when you eat the produce they are producing for you.

When I used to have my goats, I wouldn't have fed them anything potentially dodgy, because I drank the milk they produced.

At least with dog/cat food we are not eating anything from them.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Depends how out of date, Art.
Are we talking about days or months?
Also, what quantity of food? Something that will just make a meal or two, or a sack full which will take months to use up, because by then it would be a lot more out of date.

Thing is, with poultry, it is not just about what to feed them - because you are feeding yourself too, when you eat the produce they are producing for you.

When I used to have my goats, I wouldn't have fed them anything potentially dodgy, because I drank the milk they produced.

At least with dog/cat food we are not eating anything from them.
Mups, They are two weeks out of date and it's a 20kg bag! A bag usually lasts a month.
The bag states, 'Best Before', not 'Use By', so l thought they might be ok?
The hens eat much worse when scratching about in the garden! In fact, there was a dead mole in the coop the other day and l bet they had a few pecks at that!!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

11-06-2017, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, if it just slightly out of date but not if it involves fresh meat.

My Nan used to give my Granddad out of date food all the time and he lived to 89.
Longy, The food is vegetarian, mainly wheat.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 01:19 PM

There is a shop near me that often sell out of date cat and dog food cheaper and I know lots of people buy it. My sister even bought some for our cats and they are it without any problems.... but I am only talking 2 weeks after sell by date.

If it says "best before" I am sure they will be fine, I have even eaten food myself that has exceeded the best before date.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

11-06-2017, 02:02 PM

I have now sent an email to the company who produce them to see what they advise.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have now sent an email to the company who produce them to see what they advise.
They will say 'No'.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
They will say 'No'.

I thought that dongle, they would probably prefer to flog you a new bag.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2017, 05:54 PM

Hi

There is naff all in Layers Pellets to go off and harm the Hens, there will be degradation of the oil, but not for months.

As long as they kept dry and not allowed to go mouldy, they will be fine.

If you are in anyway worried, you could always donate them to me.

Smashed up, they make marvellous ground bait for carp fishing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top