Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 12:36 PM

Re: Rediscovering vinyl again

Back from Hull centre and I couldn't believe how difficult it was to find the GPO Memphis turntable I spoke about earlier. HMV didn't do them in the colour I wanted, nor Richer Sounds, Argos or half a dozen smaller shops I popped into.
I didn't want to buy one online because if anything was wrong with it, it's the hassle of sending stuff back - especially at that price. When I was just about to give up, I located one at Maplin's, but they have to order it in. No sweat, at least it's on its way at last!

I did buy my first new album in over 30 years though, The Dark Side Of The Moon from HMV on heavyweight remastered vinyl. How much are they now....£20.99!!? Looks like my idea of trawling around the second hand shops may come into effect!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 01:41 PM

I have only two vinyl records left, 'My best friends girl' and 'Just what I needed' both by The Cars. I believe the former was the first picture disc single but neither of them are worth anything.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have only two vinyl records left, 'My best friends girl' and 'Just what I needed' both by The Cars. I believe the former was the first picture disc single but neither of them are worth anything.
I'm thinking you could be right with The Cars as the first picture disc single, Longdogs. I know there were quite a few albums released as pictures discs prior to 1978 (including, as it happens, the Pink Floyd classic I mention), but it was definitely the new-wave era of the late 70's which saw just about everything turn up either as a pic disc or coloured vinyl record.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Back from Hull centre and I couldn't believe how difficult it was to find the GPO Memphis turntable I spoke about earlier. HMV didn't do them in the colour I wanted, nor Richer Sounds, Argos or half a dozen smaller shops I popped into.
I didn't want to buy one online because if anything was wrong with it, it's the hassle of sending stuff back - especially at that price. When I was just about to give up, I located one at Maplin's, but they have to order it in. No sweat, at least it's on its way at last!

I did buy my first new album in over 30 years though, The Dark Side Of The Moon from HMV on heavyweight remastered vinyl. How much are they now....£20.99!!? Looks like my idea of trawling around the second hand shops may come into effect!
I paid something like that for my half speed mastered version back in the late seventies or early eighties.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 03:17 PM

Floydy, glad you at least have the player on order.

I've seen the price of vinyl in Sainsburys, and thank heavens that I've kept every bit of my collection! I have every Dave Clark Five album, singles, and EPs, and various US ones (mostly sent over by my friend). A huge range of general and miscellaneous LPs and Singles too.

I have a turntable on the stereo that has a non working CD drive (so I bought a working one), and I have the turntable that connects to a PC to digitise music. As it is a time consuming job I lost heart many years ago!

BUT! I have the players...and I have the records.

Enjoy your listening.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I'm thinking you could be right with The Cars as the first picture disc single, Longdogs. I know there were quite a few albums released as pictures discs prior to 1978 (including, as it happens, the Pink Floyd classic I mention), but it was definitely the new-wave era of the late 70's which saw just about everything turn up either as a pic disc or coloured vinyl record.
I also had Blondie's Parallel Lines picture disc where she was licking the spindle.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 07:12 PM

You would think I was joking-youngest daughter of my lady re-vinyl. Stephan how do you miss out a track?? They can set up a smart phone in 10 minutes but still have to learn about lifting a stylus.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

12-06-2017, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Floydy, glad you at least have the player on order.

I've seen the price of vinyl in Sainsburys, and thank heavens that I've kept every bit of my collection! I have every Dave Clark Five album, singles, and EPs, and various US ones (mostly sent over by my friend). A huge range of general and miscellaneous LPs and Singles too.

I have a turntable on the stereo that has a non working CD drive (so I bought a working one), and I have the turntable that connects to a PC to digitise music. As it is a time consuming job I lost heart many years ago!

BUT! I have the players...and I have the records.

Enjoy your listening.
Thanks Jazzi. I just hope I don't get so deep into it as I used to. It cost me a fortune.

I wish I'd never sold my records, there must have been a couple of thousand albums and singles in my original collection - all went to car boot sales!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

12-06-2017, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I also had Blondie's Parallel Lines picture disc where she was licking the spindle.
The mind boggles, longdogs.
She was indeed my poster girl in the late 1970's. Those double page centre spreads from Smash Hits and Look In magazine adorned my bedroom walls beautifully!
Calcio2
EU ireland
Calcio2 is male  Calcio2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 09:11 PM

Sure I have a load of vinyl In the attic .used to collect it avidly I the 80s.Neil young ,dylan ,jimi hendrix, rolling stones, pink floyd,pretty sure there is some Beatles albums there too.There is nothing quite like the ceremony of removing the disc from the sleeve, making sure to catch the album by the edges.had a special brush for removing lint from surface.then there is that amazing sound that just cannot be recreated by CDs or digital downloaded mp3.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top