Join for free
Calcio2
EU ireland
Calcio2 is male  Calcio2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 11:09 AM

Windows 10 still available for free

Just to let anyone know who missed the chance to upgrade to windows 10 last year.it is still possible to do so.Just google"windows 10 free upgrade for customers who use assistive technologies",and upgrade.Have tried this myself and it actually works .You still need to have an activated version of windows 7 or windows 8.1.Just a note.some people were getting incompatible CPU errors ,check your BIOS settings for execute disable bit.make sure this is turned on.sometimes this is turned off by default.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 02:13 PM

Re: Windows 10 still available for free

lols

Not f***ing likely matey !

Funny how MS pressured the nation to get the upgrade urgently because time owuld run out and then you'd have to pay ! Ages later and it's still free lols.

No thanks. I don't want the all controlling OS that is Win10.

I will stay on Win 7 until such time as it becomes totally unusable. Years from now.
Calcio2
EU ireland
Calcio2 is male  Calcio2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 04:41 PM

As of January 14 2020 windows 7 will be cut adrift just as xp and vista have been .It might be no harm for anybody to activate windows 10 on their computer while they can.they can revert immediately to windows 7, as w10 activation is forever ,when 2020 comes around they can reactivate w10 then.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Calcio2 ->
As of January 14 2020 windows 7 will be cut adrift
It is already cut adrift. No more updates for Win 7 afaik. Not that this ever bothered me as I have always had Windows Updates totally disabled. Never had a single update and never will. Never had any issues as a result of doing that and as it turned out it did me a HUGE favour as that meant I never got the nefarious Windows Update that caused WIndows 10 to be Auto installed with all the hassle and problems that brought with it.

With Win 10 the customer can no longer choose or opt to prevent Windows Updates. You can postpone them for a while, but not disable them. MS is in control, not the customer. Hence I am not in the least bit interested in Win 10.

Imagine if car manufacturers were able to force you to have car services?!!!
Calcio2
EU ireland

14-06-2017, 11:11 PM

I think that people think that when Microsoft cuts support for an operating system it still continues along as normal.Just look at windows xp now ,internet explorer,google chrome and firefox are no longer supported on it leaving them completely open to hackers .I wouldn't fancy doing my online banking on it.Antivirus companies have probably abandoned it as well. I fear this is the future for windows 7 post 2020
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
lols

Not f***ing likely matey !

Funny how MS pressured the nation to get the upgrade urgently because time owuld run out and then you'd have to pay ! Ages later and it's still free lols.

No thanks. I don't want the all controlling OS that is Win10.

I will stay on Win 7 until such time as it becomes totally unusable. Years from now.
My view too.

Sadly, you can't buy a new computer now that runs Windows 7 - in my opinion, the best Windows OS ever.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
It is already cut adrift. No more updates for Win 7 afaik. Not that this ever bothered me as I have always had Windows Updates totally disabled. Never had a single update and never will. Never had any issues as a result of doing that and as it turned out it did me a HUGE favour as that meant I never got the nefarious Windows Update that caused WIndows 10 to be Auto installed with all the hassle and problems that brought with it.

With Win 10 the customer can no longer choose or opt to prevent Windows Updates. You can postpone them for a while, but not disable them. MS is in control, not the customer. Hence I am not in the least bit interested in Win 10.

Imagine if car manufacturers were able to force you to have car services?!!!
I agree with your sentiments about Windows 10. As I have said before, Windows 7 is far better and I, too, don't particularly want any updates as they seem to benefit only Microsoft.

However, regarding disabling updates in Windows 10 (I emboldened that part of your post), I seem to have done that successfully.

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services/Windows Update/Startup Type - right click and select 'Disabled'.

It has been like that for a few weeks now and no Windows Updates.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 09:02 AM

Groundhog day.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

15-06-2017, 04:04 PM

I think that people think that when Microsoft cuts support for an operating system it still continues along as normal.
Actually yes it DOES simply continue as normal. It's absolutely fine. What DOES change though are websites which tend to make use of newer and newer page formatting technologies like Javascripting and the like. Older versions of browsers don't know about the new programming languages and so you find that some websites may not display normally (though are still perfectly usable) and some elements of the website might not function (the odd button etc).

Just look at windows xp now ,internet explorer,google chrome and firefox are no longer supported on it leaving them completely open to hackers. I wouldn't fancy doing my online banking on it.
This debate has been had elsewhere. IMO there's little value to be had for hackers trying to target old unsupported operating systems. They will surely put their efforts into the mainstream operating systems that are most used.

The same will be true for mobile phones. Hackers will be trying to write all manner of routines to exploit all of the smart phones out their on Android and the like. What they won't be doing is wasting their time and effort on old 2G Nokia/Samsung phones.

Thus upgrading to the latest O/S simply puts you in the prime hacker target environment imo.

Windows 7 will go on for many years to come. It is a very stable O/S and one in which the user has a lot of personal control. I fully expect MS to try all manner of nefarious tricks to get more people on Windows 10. I will hold out until Win 7 no longer functions on the internet. That will be many years from now.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 05:26 PM

I have been using Windows 10 now for about 6 months and apart from the occasional hiccup, mostly, "picnic errors", I can see no problem with it at all.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top