Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 09:35 AM

Re: This made me cry

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Sorry Julie, but personally, I've never done that and never will. For one reason, look what it has done to that dog in the OP. Also, how on earth would you know who has eaten what? Thirdly, what about if one has medication in their food? Crazy idea, I'd never, ever do it.

Right from young puppies mine all have separate dishes.
The reason for that is you will get fat, greedy ones taking over or guarding the dish and the smaller slower pups, who need a bit more tlc, would never get their share and would not gain weight.
My oldest Beddie is so unbelievably slow at eating. She picks up one flippin' nugget at a time and chews it thoroughly - she drives me nuts - and if she was made to have Nellie or Iz share her bowl, she would probably never get another morsel.
I've never had a fat dog, nor a terribly thin one mups, they learn to share, I've never had any problem with toys etc either because they have learned to share things. Yes we have problems when we lose a dog, Mollie was distraught as was Betty but we get them a companion as soon as we can.

As I said because Elsie has eating problems never known a Labrador can't keep food in its mouth long enough to swallow it ! We do now feed seperately.

It may be it works well because we tend to have vastly different sized dogs, the small ones need very little, but I always watch them I know what and how much they eat pretty well.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 09:38 AM

When I said fat and greedy Julie, I was referring to pups in a litter.

For example, when I went to buy Gertie, you'd have thought her sister was a month older, she was twice the size, fast and greedy.
Gertie had not been getting her share since weaning, because of her sister shoving her out the way.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 09:41 AM

Very sad little story....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 09:41 AM

Yes I can imagine that we've only chosen two from litters, all our others were rescues so haven't had much experience of feeding dogs same age or size.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top