Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 05:58 AM

Re: Raindrops on roses

I get black spot too, maybe I don't spray often enough. I love roses but I only have a small walled garden so lots of climbers and if one rose gets infected they all do. Lovely picture Barry, roses are beautiful....white are my favourite.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 09:01 AM

Interesting thread, as l love roses.
The only trouble is, l don't really know how to prune roses properly!

Now, l wonder, why do l keep singing, ' My Favourite Things' from The Sound Of Music?!!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 09:16 AM

I agree with not being sure how to prune, I even get confused when I should prune as I have read conflicting advice. Some say Autumn others say early spring... It's all a puzzle to me.
Paddy
New Member!
Nottinghamshire UK
Paddy is male 

17-06-2017, 11:19 AM

My advice on roses is, unless you are a serious or competitive grower, is to keep it simple. If black spot appears, it IS likely to spread to all of your other roses. So, once you have cut off affected leaves and stems, and disposed of them, spray all of your rose bushes every two weeks with Rose Clear or similar. A lot of complicated advice is given on pruning of roses, but it can be quite simple. Throughout the flowering season, cut longish stems just as they are about to open, for your vases. Remove the thorns, and any leaves which would be under water in the vase. If you are not gathering flowers, then enjoy the display, but frequently snip out any flowerheads as soon as they begin to fade. If there are a lot of flowers bunched together just carefull snip out the blown flower. If it is and isolated flower on a long stem, take out the stem too, right down to any pair of leaves. At the end of the season, I roughly prune all rose bushes and climbers by about half. Don't be fussy, this is just to prevent wind rock to the roots, whilst allowing enough nutrient to be drawn back into the plant. Then, in spring, as the first leaf buds appear cut back half again. You can be a little fussier now. Look for a pair of outward facing buds and cut just above with sharp secateurs. Try to make the cut slope outwards so rain will roll off. Then give all of the plants their first feed of the season. Don't worry about fine details. It is very, very, difficult to do any real damage, and you will still get a fine display. Disease and pests are the biggest enemies, such as black spot, powdery mildew, and greenly. On these you must be vigilant. Over enthusiastic pruning won't kill your plants. Disease will, so be vigilant.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 10:18 PM

Ladies, I think we have an expert in our midst.

Good, sound advice there, Paddy. Thank you.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 10:28 PM

Such a beautiful rose, love the colour...
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire

18-06-2017, 10:17 AM

Paddy, thank you so much for your info, I have printed it out. Please keep posting its nice to have someone with your knowledge giving advice, along with the other experience gardeners here of course. I have much to learn

PS I sprayed all my roses with Rose clear last night and gathered up every single leaf with a mark on it...here's hoping I got it in time, fingers crossed.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2017, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ladies, I think we have an expert in our midst.

Good, sound advice there, Paddy. Thank you.

Paddy, were you a professional gardener or grower before retirement by any chance?
Paddy
New Member!
Nottinghamshire UK
Paddy is male 

19-06-2017, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Paddy, were you a professional gardener or grower before retirement by any chance?
Not at all Mups. Soldier first, then when discharged after injury (9 years served), Ambulance Service until retirement. Gardening was always my stress buster.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 08:03 AM

That is a beautiful rose sir!
I myself am a lousy rose gardener though, but some of it I will blame on climate!

Gardening is definitely one of the best stress busters out there.
Along with animals!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top