Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 11:39 AM

BBC Gardeners World Live show

Went to the show at the NEC yesterday. Had a lovely day, mostly 'window' shopping, but we did spend a bit. Bought some yellow and pink agapanthus bulbs and a wooden wind-chime, and investigated a new greenhouse (ours needs replacing once this year's tomatoes are finished).

Would like to go again next year, even if it means having to get the train - again. Two hours each way, and trains packed to the gunnels both journeys. Even the NEC wasn't that busy!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 12:53 PM

Re: BBC Gardeners World Live show

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
Went to the show at the NEC yesterday. Had a lovely day, mostly 'window' shopping, but we did spend a bit. Bought some yellow and pink agapanthus bulbs and a wooden wind-chime, and investigated a new greenhouse (ours needs replacing once this year's tomatoes are finished).

Would like to go again next year, even if it means having to get the train - again. Two hours each way, and trains packed to the gunnels both journeys. Even the NEC wasn't that busy!
Hi Deb

Glad you enjoyed your day.

I'm looking forward to watching it tonight although to be honest I think Gardeners World has lost the plot a bit (pun intended). It never seems to relate to anything my garden.

A really good gardening show is the Beechgrove Garden, a Scottish production which really does give useful information but It's televised at odd times.

I wonder which plant will win the Gardener's World Golden jubilee title?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 12:53 PM

I'd love to go there Debs, but never have.

My local garden centre were running a coach trip, but I couldn't go.

That strawberry agapanthus you said about, is it called 'Strawberry Ice' by any chance?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 01:01 PM

We went years ago when Geoff Hamilton was presenting Gardeners World. It was interesting walk around but the crowds were virtually impenetrable later on, so I wouldn't want to go again.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
We went years ago when Geoff Hamilton was presenting Gardeners World. It was interesting walk around but the crowds were virtually impenetrable later on, so I wouldn't want to go again.
I prefered Geoff Hamilton.
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'd love to go there Debs, but never have.

My local garden centre were running a coach trip, but I couldn't go.

That strawberry agapanthus you said about, is it called 'Strawberry Ice' by any chance?
Not sure tbh - I bought a 'lucky dip' bag of mixed bulbs. the guy serving me was the owner of the nursery who was actually interviewed on GW the previous week - he said of the five bulbs in the bag I'd get at least one of each yellow, white and pink.

Looking forward to seeing what comes up!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 09:04 PM

Sorry to query this Debs, but I am intrigued.

Are you quite sure they are Agapanthus?
I ask for a couple of reasons.

I have been growing Agapanthus for a few years now, and to my knowledge they only come in different shades of blues and purples, or white or blue/white mixes. I have about 11 tubs of them, but have never heard of any yellow ones?

This year I believe for the first time, they have brought out a pink one - 'Strawberry Ice' it is called. It is a new one, and there are very few about just yet.
I finally managed to locate one over in Gloucestershire which they are going to mail order for me but not until next February when the plant is dormant. It is in full growth at the moment.

The other reason I am confused is because they should all be in full growth this time of year with loads of the long green leaves, some of mine are getting the flower buds even. So I am surprised if the chap has still got his as bulbs this time of year.

This man wasn't Steve Hickman from the Hoyland Plant Centre in Yorkshire, was he? His are superb plants, I have bought quite a few off him.

Anyway, best of luck with them, hope you can manage a picture when they flower.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 09:13 PM

Sorry to query this Debs, but I am intrigued.

Are you quite sure they are Agapanthus?
I ask for a couple of reasons.

I have been growing Agapanthus for a few years now, and to my knowledge they only come in different shades of blues and purples, or white or blue/white mixes. I have about 11 tubs of them, but have never heard of any yellow ones?

This year I believe for the first time, they have brought out a pink one - 'Strawberry Ice' it is called. It is a new one, and there are very few about just yet.
I finally managed to locate one over in Gloucestershire which they are going to mail order for me but not until next February when the plant is dormant. It is in full growth at the moment.

The other reason I am confused is because they should all be in full growth this time of year with loads of the long green leaves, some of mine are getting the flower buds even. So I am surprised if the chap has still got his as bulbs this time of year.

This man wasn't Steve Hickman from the Hoyland Plant Centre in Yorkshire, was he? His are superb plants, I have bought quite a few off him.

Anyway, best of luck with them, hope you can manage a picture when they flower.
Hi

Mups, the RHS list a yellow agapanthus.

Agapanthus Yellow Tips.

You can get it from here

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Nurser...%253Dnurseries
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-06-2017, 09:22 PM

Swims, and Debs, I humbly beg your pardon.

I have never seen nor heard of a yellow one, I wonder if it is another new one? I see there is only one supplier and he is in Northern Ireland. The RHS don't seem to have any pictures or further information on this plant as yet.
Be interesting to see if it more known next growing season.

Thank you Swims.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 09:25 PM

Swims, and Debs, I humbly beg your pardon.

I have never seen nor heard of a yellow one, I wonder if it is another new one? I see there is only one supplier and he is in Northern Ireland. The RHS don't seem to have any pictures or further information on this plant as yet.
Be interesting to see if it more known next growing season.

Thank you Swims.
Hi

Google yellow agapanthus, there are pictures.

I would order it by post mups.

We wouldn't want you driving there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top