Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 07:20 PM

Re: Dogless at the moment.

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
I can't stand being dogless either that's why I have had 4 ( occasionally 5 ) for the last 25 years . Don't think I would survive long without dogs especially since my children live far away .

Yep. I'm just the same as you Abs.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 07:49 PM

It depends on circumstances when/if to get another dog,Like you bookwormI have had a dog most of my life [ since age 12 when my family moved from a flat to a house],sometimes I got a new one within weeks ,other times it took several monthsAre you going to get a rescue dog, oh if you want a westie it will be a private deal.For the first time ever I have taken an older dog, [he's somewhere about 7yrs old]He wasnt my choice,I didnt want him, he was badly scarred,sores on legs & belly,underweight and very dejected/depressed, we were only allowed to stroke the side of his face gently, but myson took to him, said he felt sorry for him, so I agreed. Now 18 months later he is in beautiful condition, confident and very affectionate, a much different dog
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2017, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bookworm ->
Yes I do know about dog friendly hotels and cottages. I've also looked around a kennels which an old friend has used for her pampered pouch for a few years. And, quite frankly, I wouldn't mind a week there myself. We are also lucky that a neighbour would look after our dog like a shot. We wouldn't like to get one now, and then shoot off on holiday We want to be with it for at least a year and also use this time for him to get to know where he will stay while we are away. What we did with other dogs in the past, was book them in for night,then a weekend.
Talking about parrots, my cousin whom I love dearly has one called Captain. Privately I call the thing Rasputin, It is the most angry bird I have ever met and would take your finger off if you got near enough. My husband says 'Paxo' every time he passes poor old Captain and |I'm sure he understands.
Im glad you have people around who would be willing to babysit. It sounds as if you have a well rehearsed plan for the holidays when they happen.

I have to say Im amazed at how many places now allow dogs its as if holiday companies have only just realised that we dog owners actually enjoy spending time with our dogs!

The parrot story sounds familiar.. Im allowed to bath Basil but not to hold him.. OH is allowed but has the scars to prove its not always wise..
Basil is a rescue having been through two homes (one very abusive) before he arrived at ours unexpectedly..

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0512.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	3167  

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top