Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 12:40 PM

Trump state visit cancelled

GOOD!

And for now at least - there was no mention of it in the queen's speech:

The #QueensSpeech has dropped Donald Trump's state visit. Protest works. We've won - for now @UKStopTrump ✊
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/stat...79705175314434
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 12:51 PM

Re: Trump state visit cancelled

We are welcoming the USA to our shores through their elected president which, regardless of what you think of Trump as a person, I think is a good thing to reiterate our hand of friendship to that nation.

But back to the OP why should have it been in the Queen's speech? The invitation has been made and accepted, so as far as I understand hopefully it is just a matter of settling the date.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 02:34 PM

Perhaps they're hoping he'll dissappear in the meantime!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
We are welcoming the USA to our shores through their elected president which, regardless of what you think of Trump as a person, I think is a good thing to reiterate our hand of friendship to that nation.
No, we shouldn't be inviting bigoted heads of state here just because we have traditionally had a good relationship with the country.

Would we invite Hitler or Mugabe or one of the other despicable 'leaders' for a state visit? I think not.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

21-06-2017, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Perhaps they're hoping he'll dissappear in the meantime!
I think they might be Tess
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
No, we shouldn't be inviting bigoted heads of state here just because we have traditionally had a good relationship with the country.

Would we invite Hitler or Mugabe or one of the other despicable 'leaders' for a state visit? I think not.
Hitler?
Trump's not in Hitler's league is he?
Besides, Ms May's currently dickering over a coalition with DUP .. against abortion and same sex marriage. Are bigots abounding just now.
Strange world isn't it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->

He's a democratically elected head of state, so to my mind even if we have no liking for the man then as allies we should still respect the office which he represents.

Of course though, I understand that anyone such as yourself with narrow extreme left wing views can't stand anyone that doesn't share your view of the world, so I'm really not surprised by your post. I'm just surprised that you didn't refer to him as a scumbag nasty party acolyte...
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 03:23 PM

Probably get me slagged off but get on with it i could not give a toss. Trump is a far better President than that useless Obama ever was the man was a waste of space and i for one am glad he has gone biggest mistake the Americans ever did was electing him in, but not once twice unbelievable!! At least Trump has the backbone to tell it like it is. This Government in the UK could really learn from Trump.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

21-06-2017, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
He's a democratically elected head of state, so to my mind even if we have no liking for the man then as allies we should still respect the office which he represents.

Of course though, I understand that anyone such as yourself with narrow extreme left wing views can't stand anyone that doesn't share your view of the world, so I'm really not surprised by your post. I'm just surprised that you didn't refer to him as a scumbag nasty party acolyte...
If "extreme left wing views" equal views based on common decency and what's best for humanity and the planet - then I'm fine with that

Re Trump, yes, I do consider him a scumbag - the only good thing about plonkers like him, is that they are a catalyst for decency prevailing. The world is getting sick of inward looking hate-filled morons like him.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 06:13 PM

Not keen on him then huh?

So what specifically is it you find moronically scumbaggish?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top