Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 10:02 PM

Orange Petunias & Pesticides in plants

Did you buy any orange Petunias this year?

I have just read that Genetically Modified Petunias "illegally entered the UK chain" , prompting campaign group GM Freeze to brand the situation as a "horrifying disregard for regulation."

The government has claimed that GM orange Petunias do not pose a risk to human health or the environment - despite people calling them Frankenstein flowers.

However DEFRA has issued a list of varieties being investigated, although they say "the plants are not thought to be as risk."

I'd rather they say definitely not a risk?

Another topic too:

Research at Sussex University also examined 29 different plants on sale at garden centres and DIY stores, and found 70% were found to have been soaked in controversial pesticides (neonicotinoids) that had been restricted across Europe because of the 'acute risk to honey bees.'

The report said "Retailers were selling plants containing variable combinations of potentially harmful chemicals, so any purchase is playing Russian Roulette with pollinators."

B & Q seem to be setting the trend in saying all their plants will be grown without neonics by 2018.

A poll said 78% of the public agreed that garden centres should not sell these plants grown with pesticides that are harmful to bees."
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 10:14 PM

Re: Orange Petunias & Pesticides in plants

That's bad news

Orange flowers are banned from my garden, not because of this but just generally.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 10:31 PM

I didn't know that, that's a bit scary, I love my bees. Surely Garden Centres, the reputable ones would highlight those concerns?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 10:40 PM

I have never seen orange petunias Mups and I wouldn't be buying them anyway. I like traditional colours in my flowers .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I didn't know that, that's a bit scary, I love my bees. Surely Garden Centres, the reputable ones would highlight those concerns?

You are a good man Rehab, I'm glad you care.

Apparently there is an online petition called:

Get bee-harming pesticides out of garden plants

I admit I haven't looked at it yet, but last I heard, 15,921 people have signed it, probably more now.

I expect half the trouble is, the staff working at garden centres don't even know, but the responsibility should be with the buyers I'd have thought.
I guess as long as they make a profit on plants sales, that is all that matters!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

22-06-2017, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have never seen orange petunias Mups and I wouldn't be buying them anyway. I like traditional colours in my flowers .

Meg, I believe it is a new colour just come out this year.

I tell you what I do like this year, it is another new-ish one called 'Night Sky'. I just got one to pop in pot by my front door to try, and I am really pleased, it is really pretty.
Reminds me of a lovely starry night.

Have a look:

https://www.wyevalegardencentres.co....ky-0860032010/
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 11:04 PM

I've got once of those too Mups ( post 221 flower photo thread)
They remind me of "Vincent".
I expect they're genetically modified too, hybrids, but not harmful.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

22-06-2017, 11:22 PM

Ooh, I've just been and had a look at your picture Tess. That's the one.
Like your white Aquilegia too, see what you mean about the swans.

I am pleasantly surprised with mine. Think I might have some more for the front garden next year.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2017, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ooh, I've just been and had a look at your picture Tess. That's the one.
Like your white Aquilegia too, see what you mean about the swans.

I am pleasantly surprised with mine. Think I might have some more for the front garden next year.

They're very pretty, I only had one striped flower, the others have come out like starry night sky like yours.
I love the smell of petunias.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top