Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 05:21 PM

BT Call Protect?

I had 'one of those' today. You know, the foreign gentleman ringing from 'BT' to tell you there is a problem with your router, even when you don't have the internet through BT!

I sussed him out straight away and said, l'd get my (imaginary) husband to deal with it!! Yes, l know, l could have sworn at him but l'm, a laydeeee!

After putting the phone down, l wondered if, in that time (l watch too many espionage films!) that he could have accessed my phone line remotely! I know you think l'm overreacting but you never know!

I then rang BT and reported the call l'd had. The lady that answered said, they'd had quite a few reports of such calls today. She suggested, l have 'Call Protect' added to my account. I asked if it was free, as l pay BT enough, already! She said, Yes....but l still had to agree to the terms and conditions, she quoted.

So, l ask, are you on this 'Call Protect' and is it ok?
I do have a facility to block calls on my new Panasonic quad handsets but don't know how to do it!!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 05:25 PM

Re: BT Call Protect?

I do not have it so cannot comment. I can however comment on such calls-imagine they are clock work-wind them up.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I had 'one of those' today. You know, the foreign gentleman ringing from 'BT' to tell you there is a problem with your router, even when you don't have the internet through BT!

I sussed him out straight away and said, l'd get my (imaginary) husband to deal with it!! Yes, l know, l could have sworn at him but l'm, a laydeeee!

After putting the phone down, l wondered if, in that time (l watch too many espionage films!) that he could have accessed my phone line remotely! I know you think l'm overreacting but you never know!

I then rang BT and reported the call l'd had. The lady that answered said, they'd had quite a few reports of such calls today. She suggested, l have 'Call Protect' added to my account. I asked if it was free, as l pay BT enough, already! She said, Yes....but l still had to agree to the terms and conditions, she quoted.

So, l ask, are you on this 'Call Protect' and is it ok?
I do have a facility to block calls on my new Panasonic quad handsets but don't know how to do it!!
LOL, just this minute joined . I had my paper phone bill today and it was offered on there. Free of Charge.
The number by phone is 0800 328 1572
Online its bt.com/callprotect
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
LOL, just this minute joined . I had my paper phone bill today and it was offered on there. Free of Charge.
The number by phone is 0800 328 1572
Online its bt.com/callprotect
Aye? What? SG, You are still allowed a paper bill from BT?
I thought they had stopped those? I have to check my account online as l thought that's how it was now!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 05:59 PM

Thanks for this post Artangel. I think I will see about Call Protect. We are getting a lot of calls purporting to be from Talk Talk, telling us our internet connection is faulty and that we are at risk. I challenged the woman today and she hung up. There is also something going on at the moment with someone ringing up, listening and hanging up. We have had five today and three yesterday (suspect it is my daughter's ex - he is kicking off again).
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Aye? What? SG, You are still allowed a paper bill from BT?
I thought they had stopped those? I have to check my account online as l thought that's how it was now!
No, I opted to pay £2 for a paper itemised bill each quarter.
It gives me exactly who and when I phoned during that time.
It's worth it because I use BT for my Broadband and Landline, I also pay extra for Anytime free calls so I like to see if I am being charged for any. Also, I have to pay if I phone mobiles so I like to double check that I have in fact phoned that mobile number.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

23-06-2017, 06:27 PM

Forgot to say that on my itemised bill, they keep saying "You can save £8 per year by receiving a paperless bill"
On your bike BT!! I prefer to see what I am paying for in print
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 07:08 PM

e have a call blocker on our phone, bit different but it stops repeated nuisance calls . It won't stop international calls or calls via a swiitchboard and I don't think it will stop them on calls protect. That I should imagine works on the basis of reported nuisance calls to BT .
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 07:16 PM

Ah the old BT Protection Racket again . . .

Amazing how many times this subject crops up on the forum.

BT are essentially Chinese Triads. Instead of simply blocking nuisance calls at source so that none of us ever get them, they instead peddle "protection" as a chargeable service. People are total mugs of they agree to pay BT for any Caller ID service imo.

It is a protection racket plain and simple.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 07:23 PM

I was a switchboard fitter with BT for well over 20 years but also often came across this nuisance call problem. BT just can't stop every call getting through it is not technically possible A caller withheld call will get through as well thinking about it a bit more

Caller ID we do have as it is handy to know if it is a relative or friend calling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top