Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 07:23 PM

Re: BT Call Protect?

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Ah the old BT Protection Racket again . . .

Amazing how many times this subject crops up on the forum.

BT are essentially Chinese Triads. Instead of simply blocking nuisance calls at source so that none of us ever get them, they instead peddle "protection" as a chargeable service. People are total mugs of they agree to pay BT for any Caller ID service imo.

It is a protection racket plain and simple.
Actually Realist, this is a completely free service.No charge whatsoever. Anything that helps stop nuisance calls for free can't be faulted. For years I have been on ex-directory/call barring, but I still get nuisance calls. So if it is free and helps stop these buggers, I am glad to join.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Actually Realist, this is a completely free service.No charge whatsoever. Anything that helps stop nuisance calls for free can't be faulted. For years I have been on ex-directory/call barring, but I still get nuisance calls. So if it is free and helps stop these buggers, I am glad to join.
We are EX.D as well but yes they still get through even if a misdial
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
We are EX.D as well but yes they still get through even if a misdial
Apparently how it works is if you get a call, be it from a number or one you are unable to trace by tapping 1471, if you phone BT straight away, they will trace the number and note it. If that number attempts to ring you again it will be automatically diverted into a BT Spam Box.

Hope it works!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 07:41 PM

that is ok unless like we get, and that is different agents working for the same firm from home. The person they keep asking for must have previously had this number and got it from central office
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 08:22 PM

Indeed, a free service which offers:

BT Blacklist
We continually monitor for the worst nuisance call offenders and once we’ve identified them, we will automatically divert them for you. And we’ll turn it on by default when you get BT Call Protect

Personal blacklist
You can add any number you like to your personal blacklist, including the last call you answered from your home phone. Then any future calls from those numbers will go straight into junk voicemail.

Types of caller
You can send certain types of call to junk voicemail. Choose from international numbers, withheld numbers or unrecognised numbers.
I already get BT Privacy/Caller Display for free but I added BT call Protect as it works in a different way and adds another level of privacy.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 09:28 PM

I also pay extra for Anytime free calls so I like to see if I am being charged for any. Also, I have to pay if I phone mobiles so I like to double check that I have in fact phoned that mobile number.
The mobile calls should be half price if you have the 'Anytime free (landline)' package. You probably know that but just in case anyone else is thinking of adding the 'Anytime free (landline)' package.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 09:41 PM

On your bike BT!! I prefer to see what I am paying for in print
You can of course printout the bill each month, they even offer it in PDF format so it prints nicely and I skip the intro letter and the page with all their standard T&C's so it's just 3 sheets of A4 plus a tad for the ink

That adds up to 36 sheets per year, not sure if that is more than £8 but have a hunch it is not.

Also, do you know you can pay the landline rental one year (in advance) and get a discount, I believe it's 10%

It does annoy me that our 'landline' is less than 100 metres in length, (the exchange is right next to our neighbours house), it's just a twin wire cable, yet I have to rent it at the same price as someone who lives many miles from the exchange
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 01:38 PM

I don't know about call protect but I have an option on my landline to block callers that hide their telephone numbers. Great! Except that hospitals often hide their number too so if you were waiting for a confirmation of an appointment, you wouldn't receive the call.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I don't know about call protect but I have an option on my landline to block callers that hide their telephone numbers. Great! Except that hospitals often hide their number too so if you were waiting for a confirmation of an appointment, you wouldn't receive the call.
Today, l have received two similar numbered calls but l didn't answer them! l have used 'Call Protect' to block them!
Is this because l answered the original call yesterday and they think they are in with a winner? Ha!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top