Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 05:04 PM

Re: Sacateurs

I never have secateurs long enough to need to sharpen them, I must lose a pair a year. Heaven knows where they go
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I never have secateurs long enough to need to sharpen them, I must lose a pair a year. Heaven knows where they go

Tis the garden gremlins Meg.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Tis the garden gremlins Meg.
Don't know Mups but it is very annoying and expensive.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 06:30 PM

About two years ago, whilst pruning and clearing an area in my garden, l found a pair of secateurs in the soil. They must have been there for years (before my time here) and they were fixed solid.
I asked my son in law, if anything could be done to make them work again. He said, no, they were too far gone and to chuck them!
Then my friend who restores vintage ambulances visited and l asked him if the secateurs could be restored. He took them with him and put them into a bowl of oil and left them in there for weeks!
Some weeks later, he brought me the secateurs and they were in great working order and he didn't even have to sharpen them!
I looked up the brand 'Felco' 8 Swiss made, online and saw they were a really good make!
I was thrilled at my find and use them often but they never leave my sight!!
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 07:08 PM

I have two Felcos, one I bought in the nineteen eighties and still us. Te second pair were the professional m0del with the rotating lower handle. The latter are superb for stopping finger and wrist fatigue.

My only mistake was to buy a pair of Felco look-alikes made by a well made Sheffield company, and I had to exchange them twice. Poor engineering quality.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

25-06-2017, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
and he didn't even have to sharpen them!
I looked up the brand 'Felco' 8 Swiss made, online and saw they were a really good make!
I was thrilled at my find and use them often but they never leave my sight!!
Originally Posted by Dobra ->
I have two Felcos, one I bought in the nineteen eighties and still us. Te second pair were the professional m0del with the rotating lower handle. The latter are superb for stopping finger and wrist fatigue.

My only mistake was to buy a pair of Felco look-alikes made by a well made Sheffield company, and I had to exchange them twice. Poor engineering quality.
Before buying my last secateurs I did lots of research and Felco came out top.
I didn't buy them though because of the price knowing I would be sure to lose them
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Before buying my last secateurs I did lots of research and Felco came out top.
I didn't buy them though because of the price knowing I would be sure to lose them
Meg, lf l can't find these Felco secateurs, l go a bit neurotic as l would hate to lose them!
I do wonder who they belonged to? The woman who lived here before me, used to hire a gang of men to come in once a year to prune and tidy up the garden. I bet the secateurs were in the ground for ten years or more?!!
Anyway, finders, keepers!!
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 08:24 AM

I also have a pair of Wilkinsons long handled secateurs. About a foot long, they are razor sharp, but no longer made.....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 10:00 AM

Never have them long enough to need sharpening, either lost or lent and the borrower loses them. Must be a secateur fairy out there looking at all the lost ones.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2017, 11:07 PM

I have just sent off for some new Felco sacateurs and also two sharpening stones.
I watched the video on how to use the sharpeners, so let's hope my troubles will soon be sorted. I feel optimistic anyway.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top