Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 11:50 AM

Do YOU have an escape plan?

After reading the threads about the Grenfell fire and discussions about sprinklers, linked fire alarms and escape routes, I started to think about what would happen in my own house should there be a fire.

Yes, I have a couple of smoke alarms and a Carbon monoxide detector but that's it.

I realise we don't all live in tower blocks but would you be able to escape a fire?; can you get out of your double glazed windows, do you have an escape ladder? Do you keep a phone by your bed? Do you have a plan for your pets?

I was thinking of investing in one of those hook on escape ladders as it's quite a drop from my upstairs windows.

I would be interested to hear of any precautions you may have taken.

Luckily, I live about 100 yards from a fire station.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 12:03 PM

Re: Do YOU have an escape plan?

There is no way Mr Mags and I could climb out of an upstairs windows (or downstairs come to that) as the we live in a Victorian house with large double bay windows which only open on the top half which is 5.5ft off the ground.

We have smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms upstairs and down.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 12:17 PM

I have a smoke alarm in the hall but can't reach it to replace the battery
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 12:24 PM

We have smoke alarms in all bedrooms and in the hall upstairs and down. We also have a carbon monoxide detector and a fire blanket. I've also decided to put a domestic fire door on the kitchen. I have an ocd thing about switching everything I can off if leaving the house. I'm also very careful with candles. It would be relatively easy to get out in the case of a fire. I've had to attend the standard corporate fire safety courses in the past. According to them the most important thing in the kitchen is a fire blanket. Fire extinguishers only work if it's the right type of fire for the extinguisher.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 12:51 PM

Smoke alarms in each bedroom is the best way to go for maximum safety but this can prove to be expensive to install. The minimum required is one per floor and additional heat detector to kitchens depending on layout. New properties in Wales have to include sprinkler systems too which are linked to the alarms. The sprinkler triggers the alarms, not the other way round because the house would be flooded if you happen to burn some toast.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 12:58 PM

I have a smoke alarm and an escape route through the landing window which accesses the garage roof. I could jump on the lawn from there.

Failing that I would push my single mattress through the bedroom window and jump onto it
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 01:01 PM

When we had double glazing fitted a few years ago we were advised or maybe it was compulsory, can't remember now, to have two upstairs windows opening from the bottom outwards as an escape route. One opens onto our car port and the other the conservatory. We also have smoke detectors, one at the top of the stairs and the other in the hall. I never think to tell overnight visitors about the escape route but perhaps we should.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 01:04 PM

Another thing I have thought of is car keys. we should keep them nearby so that we can at least use the car to get somewhere or put pets in.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 01:10 PM

As well as smoke alarms,a small fire extinguisher fitted on the wall of the kitchen/hall may prevent fires from spreading..if there had been one in the apartment where the fire started.the tragedy in that tower block could have been avoided....I live in a bungalow so getting out wouldn't be a prob'.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 01:15 PM

My house is easy because it is all one level, on the ground, not double glazed.

The only downside is that it is entirely made of wood (except for the roof of corrugated iron) and can be a pile of charred ashes in 15 minutes if it catches fire. I do have smoke detectors in each room

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top