Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 03:59 PM

Re: Do YOU have an escape plan?

Originally Posted by May ->
As well as smoke alarms,a small fire extinguisher fitted on the wall of the kitchen/hall may prevent fires from spreading..if there had been one in the apartment where the fire started.the tragedy in that tower block could have been avoided....I live in a bungalow so getting out wouldn't be a prob'.

Same here May, I am in a bungalow too, so wouldn't have far to jump.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Wondering now about putting smoke alarms on the walls.

I don't 'do' heights and my house is Victorian, with fairly high ceilings, which means I have to rely on someone else to replace the batteries in the two I have and this is not always convenient.

If I put them on the walls instead, would this still work?
Yes, I believe you can do that and they need to be 12" from the ceiling. I had one on a stairwell wall in my old house and that used to go off if I burned the toast etc.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 04:15 PM

We have smoke alarms on the ground floor and first floor, a CO2 fire extinguisher, fire blanket, heat detector and carbon monoxide detector for the kitchen, because we are cooking on gas!!!.

I must admit though, I am still uneasy about leaving the television on standby and the fridge/freezer quietly humming away when I go to bed. Ever since we found out that our old but trusty to a fault tumble dryer turned out to be one of those on the danger list (I was immediately banned by he who must obey from using it from that day, but I had always without fail emptied the filter and water compartments after EVERY dry so didn't feel there was any danger) still, as I have mentioned previously, they did come and collect it and we were offered a brand new Hotpoint Condenser tumble dryer for £99 instead of almost £400, so couldn't complain.

As for a means of escape, we too live in an old pre-war house where the bedroom windows only open on the top half, but it wouldn't take long to smash the bottom pane in an emergency. Because my two little mutts sleep in their baskets in the bedroom, I always keep their car restraints plus extra leads at the back of one of the shelves in the wardrobe so we could lower them to safety to someone. But unless someone had a ladder, it would be a fingertips on the window ledge and hope for the best when we drop if the firemen weren't there to rescue us. GULP!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
We have smoke alarms on the ground floor and first floor, a CO2 fire extinguisher, fire blanket, heat detector and carbon monoxide detector for the kitchen, because we are cooking on gas!!!.

I must admit though, I am still uneasy about leaving the television on standby and the fridge/freezer quietly humming away when I go to bed.

I switch the tv off at the mains SG. I never worried about the fridge/freezer (until now...)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

I switch the tv off at the mains SG. I never worried about the fridge/freezer (until now...)
Gone are the days of 'Did I leave the iron on?' now it's did I leave the fridge on, the washing machine, the Tv........
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 04:31 PM

I know I should switch the tv off at the mains Annie, but ever since years ago when we first had SKY installed and connected to the phone line, and threats from them to customers that if we switched it off we would be breaking the contract (goodness, that was many years ago) I have just been in the habit of switching the tv off on standby. We are with BT now so there really is no need to keep it on standby at night instead of switching off at the plug, but it takes forever to come on in the morning if we have switched it off on the odd occasion so being lazy, I leave it on standby.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Gone are the days of 'Did I leave the iron on?' now it's did I leave the fridge on, the washing machine, the Tv........
I still worry about the iron But as I always have the radio on when ironing I always know it's off when I switch off the mains it goes quiet!

But I think irons stood on their sides don't cause fires do they? unless they are flat. I remember from physics that an iron auto cools when the strip of metal inside gets too close. (or something like that) so it never overheats.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

24-06-2017, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I know I should switch the tv off at the mains Annie, but ever since years ago when we first had SKY installed and connected to the phone line, and threats from them to customers that if we switched it off we would be breaking the contract (goodness, that was many years ago) I have just been in the habit of switching the tv off on standby. We are with BT now so there really is no need to keep it on standby at night instead of switching off at the plug, but it takes forever to come on in the morning if we have switched it off on the odd occasion so being lazy, I leave it on standby.
That's so annoying. I was so fed up when they started making tellies you couldn't switch off at the off switch. I mean what's wrong with a normal off switch? I switch it off for the environment too. Standby wastes so much power.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

24-06-2017, 04:34 PM

I still worry about the iron But as I always have the radio on when ironing I always know it's off when I switch off the mains it goes quiet!

But I think irons stood on their sides don't cause fires do they? unless they are flat. I remember from physics that an iron auto cools when the strip of metal inside gets too close. (or something like that) so it never overheats.
I think it stems from men leaving the iron on their shirt while they have a beer.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

24-06-2017, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think it stems from men leaving the iron on their shirt while they have a beer.
Even the thought makes me shudder!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top