Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 10:37 PM

Re: Maths

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Maths is simple if you have the right teacher. The wrong teacher can make it terribly complicated. It's a gift to be able to teach it without jumping steps where you assume a student makes the same mental leap.
This is true. When I was taking my HNC course many years ago at Leeds University night school the tutor was trying to teach us differential calculus. He waffled on and on not explaining each step on how to get to a certain result, the upshot of which was when the end of term examination came none of the class passed it.

Luckily it was a two term course and when we went back we had a different (and younger) tutor who was more enthusiastic about his subject. Learning of our abject failure, he not only went through the previous term's course and got us up to speed on differential calculus he then continued with his own course on integration calculus. He was great at his job and his enthusiasm for his subject wore off on us.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Increase 190 by 35%

Most came in below 190
To be fair that is a very badly worded question the correct answer quite easily could be 66.5. The use of the word 'by' is poor, too easily means 190 x 0.35 when what they are actually asking is 190 by 135% (190 x 1.35).
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Oh give it a rest Gravy, this is getting as tedious as scumbag nasty party.

Love from the lad.
I've since checked her other threads and they are an absolute disgrace!!!
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 12:15 PM

The way my son and daughter were taught maths at primary school really puzzled me and well as them.
One day I sat them down and showed them the way I had been taught, they picked it up in an instance. I talked to the teacher and she said they had to do it the schools way, I pointed out that as long as they showed how they came upon the answer it didn't matter.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cedronella ->
The way my son and daughter were taught maths at primary school really puzzled me and well as them.
One day I sat them down and showed them the way I had been taught, they picked it up in an instance. I talked to the teacher and she said they had to do it the schools way, I pointed out that as long as they showed how they came upon the answer it didn't matter.
And ...?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 05:53 PM

Er. With respect to you all, the maths curriculum has been changed and made "robust". As such, there is little time for youngsters to spend a few hours developing their knowledge and understanding of even the most primitive mathematical skills to a level of "muscle memory".

I'm sure that when we were young, we would have spent many hours on key skills. Chances are that, with specific reference to the 35% question provided, they will have had about 20 to 30 minutes practice on that skill over the years since starting secondary school. And this will be true of an awful lot more of those things that we consider "basic".

It's as though you give a child 1 hour in total explanation and practice on the use of a wood chisel, and then ask them 6 months later to carve the Venus de Milo from a block of stone.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
To be fair that is a very badly worded question the correct answer quite easily could be 66.5. The use of the word 'by' is poor, too easily means 190 x 0.35 when what they are actually asking is 190 by 135% (190 x 1.35).
I have to say I agree-it is a poorly worded question but I could have posted other questions.

What concerns me more is seeing someone I love looking increasingly tired and stressed. It`s no fun when pupils chant baa baa black sheep or refer to her as `Harambe`

The school seems not to care.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top