Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 12:25 PM

Tories and DUP agree UK government deal - they get £1bn

...of tax-payers money

The deal will see the DUP support Theresa May in Parliament and £1bn extra cash for Northern Ireland.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40403434

Originally Posted by Jim Pickard (Chief Political Correspondent for the Financial Times and co-founder of FT Westminster.)
That works out at ONE HUNDRED MILLION POUNDS per DUP MP.

And....

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 12:30 PM

Re: Tories and DUP agree UK government deal - they get £1bn

How dare part of Great Britain get extra cash.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 12:32 PM

Doesn't this mean that now Wales and Scotland will also have to receive money? Won't that be detrimental even more for the English?
Could someone explain please?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 12:38 PM

If the Tories' closed doors deal-making with the DUP continues SNP MP Kirsty Blackman warned the Tories against any attempt to short-change Scotland – if a financial package is offered to Northern Ireland in return for DUP votes.

Kirsty Blackman MP, SNP Wesminster Deputy Leader, said:
“Any attempt to short change Scotland will not be acceptable to SNP MPs or the Scottish Government.

“This kind of pork barrel politics is a new low for Westminster.

“Funding across the UK is supposed to be determined by the Barnett formula, and we cannot have the funding formula ripped up in order to dish out large chunks of cash to Northern Ireland, in a grubby deal with the DUP, without fair treatment across the board.

“At the same time suggestions that a corporation tax cut would be under written for Northern Ireland, while Scotland and Wales bear full responsibility for our tax decisions, would be out of order given the responsibility other parliaments rightly take.

“We need full transparency on the DUP deal and we need it asap. SNP MPs will fight for Scotland to get every penny that we are entitled to, it will be a test of other MPs from Scotland if they have the guts to do the same.”

There may be trouble ahead
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 12:43 PM

What's the Isle of Man like?
I feel like moving!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 12:44 PM

Personally I don't agree with buying political support with taxpayers cash, to my mind the conservatives should have tried to govern without a majority, and either sink or swim to attract the necessary votes from other parties on the stength of the case they could put forward.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Personally I don't agree with buying political support with taxpayers cash, to my mind the conservatives should have tried to govern without a majority, and either sink or swim to attract the necessary votes from other parties on the stength of the case they could put forward.
Couldn't agree more buying votes leaves a very nasty taste and could open the door to a political scene none of us will benefit from in the future.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 12:56 PM

Surely this is buying votes? and with taxpayers money?

What I still fail to understand is that some time back, I am sure I heard someone say that if money is given to the DUP, then Scotland and Wales also have to receive extra. What the hell is going on if this is so? Are the English once again going to get shafted? We are aready bottom of the barrel when it comes to money per head within the four parts of the country.

I hope someone on OFF can explain to me how the system works whereby a government is freely able to give away £1 billion pounds of taxpayers money as a bribe for backing. If this was in a boardroom tussle, it would be a criminal offence.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 01:01 PM

Hi

All Political Parties buy votes with taxpayers cash, May has just been honest about it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 01:05 PM

It needs to stop I don't care how honest she is they all need to stop it !

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top