Join for free
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 04:06 PM

Cyclists wearing headphones

Today on my way into Thetford i saw a very near accident involving a cyclist and a car the cyclist was wearing headphones he swerved out with no warning luckily the car driver managed to stop in time. I was wondering if the cyclist could not hear the approaching traffic or not, with him wearing headphones? I know he should of looked behind to make sure there was no traffic but maybe as he could not hear he thought it was safe to make a move.I honestly think it should be illegal for cyclists to wear headphones they are a danger to the cyclist and any other road user.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 04:24 PM

Re: Cyclists wearing headphones

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Today on my way into Thetford i saw a very near accident involving a cyclist and a car the cyclist was wearing headphones he swerved out with no warning luckily the car driver managed to stop in time. I was wondering if the cyclist could not hear the approaching traffic or not, with him wearing headphones? I know he should of looked behind to make sure there was no traffic but maybe as he could not hear he thought it was safe to make a move.I honestly think it should be illegal for cyclists to wear headphones they are a danger to the cyclist and any other road user.
I agree doc, surely you need all your senses when riding a bike, especially in traffic, I see many people, ( usually young) walking with headphones in eyes firmly glued to their smart phone, not paying attention, someone is going to be injured or worse one day
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 04:29 PM

My walk to the pub is fraught with danger as it is along quite a narrow alley and there are always cyclists, walkers and indeed runners all heading towards me plugged in and not looking where they are going.
Some of them appear to be plugged in at both ends, what is that all about?
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 04:38 PM

As a cyclist I wont even raise my hood when its raining hard because it limits vision and hearing...............both critical on a bike.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 04:45 PM

Never mind what they can hear!
They don't seem to realise that pedestrians can't hear them!
I was walking my little dog this morning down the narrow lane, which at my end of the village leads to the only safe place to walk. Suddenly a woman on a bike sped part us with no warning! If either of us had moved slightly into the middle of the road, which is just wide enough for a van, we would have been hit.
It's not the first time this has happened, I did let rip with some choice words, I hope she wasn't wearing ear phones!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 05:05 PM

Motorists listening to the radio or music in a car with the Windows wound up don't hear traffic either. The difference is that, as motorists, we would never make a manoeuvre without first looking in the mirrors. That's where a lot of cyclists make a mistake in my opinion. They don't have a mirror to check what's behind them before moving out from the side of the road.

It is very easy to fit a mirror to a bicycle and if any safety consideration ought to be a legal requirement, I'd vote for that. It would certainly have avoided the incident that you witnessed Doc, whether the cyclist was wearing headphones or not.

I rarely get into any trouble when riding my bike because I'm the perfect cyclist of course. I've got a bell, considerate to those on foot or in motor vehicles, insured and got a mirror.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 07:35 PM

NL is thinking about a ban because the problem is so bad, France is already there
https://www.thelocal.fr/20150618/fre...sing-earphones

Of course you will get those who say they are snowflakes wanting to ban everything and we are as bad for wanting to join them but the point is I dont want a death blotting my copybook or my windscreen.
If people are too stupid to take care of themselves and educate themselves about road safety then a ban is the only way to safeguard those of us who do care.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Why shouldn't they? After all, they are above the law in all other respects: red lights, weaving in and out of traffic, riding on pavements, riding two or three abreast, no compulsory insurance, no identifying number plates, etc, etc.

If a cyclist is injured or flattened into the tarmac, the authorities naturally assume that it's the fault of the nasty motorist or HGV driver.

No. They have it made. Why should they give up any of their entitlements?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2017, 09:38 PM

What is it with people these days and the incessant need to listen to music twenty four seven. Listening to music while driving, riding or running drastically reduces your integration with the world around you, it also puts you in a very dangerous situation.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top