Join for free
Page 13 of 18 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 12:41 AM

Re: BEWARE Smart Meters Coming

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Well done ST, You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think that that person is weird
But if two people, two people do it, in harmony,
they may think they are troublemakers,
And if three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people refusing to have meters installed singing a bar of We shall Overcome.
They may think it's an organisation. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day, I said fifty people a day walking in singing a bar of We shall Overcome and refusing to have their meters fitted they may thinks it's a movement. Yes that's it, the STARAMM The Silver Tabby AND Rehab anti- meter movement.

(Click here to Join Now)

(With thanks to Arlo Guthrie.)
There is already a campaign running and a petition to stop smart meters being rolled out...

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...o-smart-meters

Germany has rejected 'Smart' Meters, citing a "lack of savings" for customers. In the UK, 'Smart' Meters are being publicised promoted as "putting consumers in control of energy".

If that were true, UK consumers would be given an inexpensive energy monitor - available for just £15 - to assess their own energy/appliance use. Instead, 'Smart' Meters are designed to transmit private data to energy companies and allow them to remotely disconnect supplies and perform "Active Demand Management" - where appliances can be controlled by the energy company (Ofgem 2014). These facts are not being explained to the public.

3. They do NOT reduce energy/utility consumption

Only consumers can save energy - when they chose to change their behaviour. If saving measures are not taken, Smart Meters will actually lead to higher bills to pay for the total programme cost of £12bn - representing a cost to each home and small business of at least £400. Energy bills shot up in December 2013 - as energy companies looked to maximise profits.

A one year study by Toronto Hydro showed that 84% of people's bills went UP after 'Smart; Meters had been installed - often by more 50%+. There is no guarantee of any savings from 'Smart' Meters. Instead, Ofgem's recent 'Smartgrid Routemap' promotes the introduction of lucrative "Time of Use" tariffs which will require people to take significant steps to avoid being penalised for using appliances at busy times.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
There is already a campaign running and a petition to stop smart meters being rolled out...

Thanks Meg, signed and facebooked.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 12:51 AM

Well done ST, You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think that that person is weird
And if three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people refusing to have meters installed singing a bar of We shall Overcome.
They may think it's an organisation. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day, I said fifty people a day walking in singing a bar of We shall Overcome and refusing to have their meters fitted they may thinks it's a movement. Yes that's it, the STARAMM The Silver Tabby AND Rehab anti- meter movement.

(Click here to Join Now)

(With thanks to Arlo Guthrie.)
I agree. That is probably the only way the general public can achieve what they want.

We can ask our local MP to help us: we would be ignored.
We can move to a different supply company: they will all do the same.
We can object in the media: again, we would be ignored by the supply companies and the government.

The only effective way in which we could refuse to have smart meters is if we refused en masse. They couldn't possibly disconnect us all, and they certainly couldn't possibly jail us all for non-payment!

But that is almost impossible to achieve. How could we possibly guarantee that everybody (or at least a majority of us) would all stand up united?

What would most likely happen is that a small number of 'leaders' would bravely stand up and suddenly find that all the people who promised to join them would be noticeable by their absence!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Signed. Thank you.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 01:34 AM

If you sign, how can you be sure it is not just a way of getting your personal info to keep pestering you, or to sell on even?
It said somewhere about payments? Can't find it again now though.

You sure it's safe to sign? It does worry me who I give personal details to.

Rehab or JBR - Where are you? Have you nodded off?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Signed. Thank you.
Had a look.

Did not sign.

As I have a few brains cells left.

But did see that it was started over two years ago.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

We could always agree to let the man come and do the job, then kidnap him. You imagine the effect of that 'en masse.' A huge percentage of the company's workforce would disappear, never to be seen again.
The firms would be terrified of sending any more of their employees out.
No more Smart Meters would be fitted.

For those who only had room for a short stay meter man, they could just hold him to ransome instead of keeping him indefinitely.
Either way, no more Smart meters would be installed.

What d'yer think?
Would depend entirely on how fit the 'meter man' was, Mups.
The one that kanded on my doorstep the other day was the sort of spotty nerd you would pay the recycling people to remove !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 08:42 AM

Well - eight of us have refused in this street that I know of - maybe others have too - will have to do a survey !!

I hope that singing is not a compulsory part of your movement, Rehab, as I forgot to do that. Will it black ball my membership? I promise not to forget again.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Would depend entirely on how fit the 'meter man' was, Mups.
The one that kanded on my doorstep the other day was the sort of spotty nerd you would pay the recycling people to remove !

Oh No, Tabs. That's bad luck.
That will be the sort you could just ransom instead then - with a very low price tag .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-02-2017, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
If you sign, how can you be sure it is not just a way of getting your personal info to keep pestering you, or to sell on even?
It said somewhere about payments? Can't find it again now though.

You sure it's safe to sign? It does worry me who I give personal details to.

Rehab or JBR - Where are you? Have you nodded off?
They can pester all they want. I just delete mails like that.

After I'd signed, a message came up asking if I'd like to contribute to the cause. Is that what you're talking about? I just deleted that too.

I'm quite good at deleting.

Page 13 of 18 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top