Join for free
Page 4 of 18 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 11:32 AM

Re: BEWARE Smart Meters Coming

Originally Posted by Shadowman ->
If it is the alleged health impacts, then one might want to worry about other sources of electro magnetic radiation. Your computer router for example, and that electric razor, you may want to give up shaving.
Not really comparing eggs with eggs there shadowman.

The key point is that the impact to one's health depends on the frequency of the transmission and the strength of that transmission.

Your average home router is sending a low strength WiFi signal just a few meters to cover your house area.

A smart meter is sending a very strong signal that may be covering miles of distance in order to communicate with the base station wherever that happens to be.

Your mobile phone is a danger to you primarily when you are making a call, when it is actively transmitting. You only do that every now and again.

A smart meter is a very high strength signal, more akin to that you would experience if you stood next to a BT mobile phone mast. They appear to be constantly transmitting too, sending your energy usage info back to that base station. People have monitored these meters and found they transmit every minute rather than every few hours like they state in the brochure.

Essentially having a smart meter is like having a super strength mobile phone that is always switched on and transmitting at very high strength bolted to your house.
A very silly idea indeed and utterly unnecessary.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2016, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
One of my neighbours has 'pay as you go' meters - how will Smart meters cope with that?
They have a "Pay as you go" equivalent smart meter. The difference is that instead of plonking physical coins in a meter, you top it up electronically using your mobile phone or computer. The added downside is that if you fail to top up, the company will remotely switch off your supply.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
They have a "Pay as you go" equivalent smart meter. The difference is that instead of plonking physical coins in a meter, you top it up electronically using your mobile phone or computer. The added downside is that if you fail to top up, the company will remotely switch off your supply.
The neighbour in question is 91, doesn't own either a computer or a mobile phone. He uses a plastic card in the Gas Meter and a special Key in the Electric one. Takes them to the village shop to be credited with money.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

17-12-2016, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
The neighbour in question is 91, doesn't own either a computer or a mobile phone. He uses a plastic card in the Gas Meter and a special Key in the Electric one. Takes them to the village shop to be credited with money.
British Gas offers a range of options for paying:

- The British Gas App – download it to top up easily, whenever and wherever you want.

- Online by creating an online account.

- Over the phone - just call 0800 980 0162. Choose option 1, and answer a few automated questions.

- At the shops – simply swipe your smart card at your local PayPoint outlet

All of which is academic. If your neighbour opts for a Smart Meter then they will end up paying far more for their energy.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 11:35 PM

Thanks Realist - I will pass the information on along with your excellent advice on the health issues.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2016, 10:10 AM

Just had one fitted...felt a lot better health wise...till I found I had used £1 in lighting and heating my house in 8 hours.
Shadowman
Wisconsin, USA
Shadowman is male  Shadowman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2016, 04:54 PM

How much do people pay for a Kilowatt Hour? In my area the rate is .10 (ten cents) per KWH. It changes seasonally and in the Spring it reverts to almost .13/KWH. Plus there is a Daily .69 fixed charge for the service. So last month my bill was $51. That is the daily plus 290 KWH@.10.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

20-12-2016, 05:32 PM

Whatever you pay now will increase dramatically once Smart Meters are rolled out. If people fail to object and fight back then everyone will lose out.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2016, 05:42 PM

We've asked several times for one it woud make reading our meter so much easier and safer, but if you live in flat more than a certain distance from your meter you can't have one. I'm too worried about health risks if the microwave and wifi router and mobile phone hasn't got me I doubt this will either.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shadowman ->
How much do people pay for a Kilowatt Hour? In my area the rate is .10 (ten cents) per KWH. It changes seasonally and in the Spring it reverts to almost .13/KWH. Plus there is a Daily .69 fixed charge for the service. So last month my bill was $51. That is the daily plus 290 KWH@.10.

Depends on your supplier and your payment method.

My new smart Meter tells me I am paying 3p a Kwh with a standing charge of 26p aday.

My new Smarter meter tells me today my Lec/gas has cost me £1.83.

So taking that into account my bill for the Month will be around £60 which is about $70+

Page 4 of 18 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top