Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 03:17 PM

Re: Will Someone Please Shut Him Up!!

I'm applauding as I write this !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Our negotiating team need to be appointed on the basis of ability, not their political views, they need to be hard nosed pragmatists who can deliver a good deal for us.
And Hammond is a hard nosed pragmatist?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Couldn't agree more Julie and JBR,

According to Vernon Coleman and other Constitutional experts, Britain isn't, and never has been a member of the EU as our entry was in violation of British law, and therefore invalid.
Apparently, in enacting the European Communities Bill through an ordinary vote in the House of Commons, Ted Heath's government breached the constitutional convention which requires a prior consultation with the people. (either by a general election or a referendum) on any measures requiring constitutional change.

Britain has no straightforward written constitution, but the signing of the Common Market entrance documents, was, without a doubt, a breach of the spirit of our Constitution.
Just weeks before the General Election which made him Prime Minister, Edward Heath declared that it would be wrong for any government contemplating membership of the European Community to take this step without the "full hearted consent of Parliament and the people".
However, when it came to it, Heath didn't have a referendum because the polls at that time (1972) showed that the British people were hugely opposed (a margin of 2 to 1) to joining the Common Market. Instead, Heath merely signed the documents that took us into what became the European Union on the basis that Parliament alone had passed the European Communities Bill of 1972.

So there we have it. Is it any wonder 17 million people want out! Though many will deny it, we Brits have always been insular. Even Charles de Gaulle knew it! This country was always a Maritime country, we have travelled to the four corners of the earth throughout our history, trading with the most distant countries.
So how the hell did we ever come to the point of being trapped into being just a second rate subservient country with a tiny voice alongside 26 other countries (actually, even less voice than the other 26) to the likes of Germany and it's pet monkey on its shoulder, France?
For decades we have struggled to respond from competition from within the EU. Does anyone remember the great British companies that have gone to the wall and disappeared?. Remember ICI? British Leyland? both huge conglomerates that were once household names here.
We need to be free again to trade with whoever we wish. No country should have a collar tied around its neck and yanked back when attempting to act on its own.
Throughout history, until 43 years ago, when we joined what was once foolishly described as the Common Market to entice us in, we have never been the servant of others, though many have tried!

So I thank God that the people of this country said "Enough" and voted with their cross to become once again what we have always been, and should never have had taken from us, An independent trading nation.

In fact, A pox on all those self-serving politicians throughout those 43 years, many now long gone in one form or another,but responsible for the instigation and taking part in the sacrifice of this country and it's people. They have a lot to answer for.

If this rant makes me sound like a "Little Englander", then so be it! I certainly won't lose any sleep over it. in fact I will wear my badge with pride.

Roll on 2019 !! VE Day again!
What an excellent post!

Let anyone who insists that the EU has been good for us read through those words.

The young people who have known nothing before the EU cannot possibly make an informed judgement and are easily convinced by those politicians who, for their own benefit, assure us that we need the EU.

The truth is, of course, that the EU needs us.

Why else would they be going to the trouble of making all these threats and demands?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
And Hammond is a hard nosed pragmatist?
Hi

Negotiation is the art of the possible.

Hammond is a pragmatist, it is his job to see the risks in everything, that is what Chancellors do.

He is not gung ho like Boris, who promised everything and who has yet, delivered nothing.

We will have to wait and see what happens.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 04:25 PM

Boris isn't and hasn't been in a position to deliver anything, it's a bit unfair to say he hasn't therefore delivered same with farage and all the others. As soon as decision was made remainers took over it felt like filled the cabinet with those who had no intention of taking us out.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They made us beg to join do you not remember they turned us down originally when we applied, then we went through hoops to be allowed to even talk to them again.

How exactly were we ever going to lead a group thought so highly of us they made us beg ?
Originally Posted by JBR ->
Can't you see?

They didn't want us as an ally. They wanted to use us, just like the other countries of the EU, especially those in the south like Greece which are suffering the most.

They have been taking advantage of us from the outset. Don't you think that was their plan all along?
You are kidding yourselves.

Germany had nothing to do with the original veto on Britain's entry to the EU. It was entirely France and in particular de Gaulle after the appalling way Britain treated him during the war.

As for using you... They didn't use you, Britain was always half hearted about the EU, it didn't take part seriously, it quibbled about minor issues, it was obstructionist. The EU could have been the best thing for Britain (as it was for Germany) if it had taken an active part in the organisation but it didn't and it only has itself (and perhaps its inbuilt xenophobia) to blame.

Germany was in deep financial shit after reunification but it reformed as a united country and industrial power. Britain could have done that too but instead chose to wage war with itself, have riots in the streets and break down the very fabric of its society.

Frankly, if nations want to know how not to do things then Britain is the text book example. I despair for Britain.

As ye reap...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-08-2017, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Germany had nothing to do with the original veto on Britain's entry to the EU. It was entirely France and in particular de Gaulle after the appalling way Britain treated him during the war.

As for using you... They didn't use you, Britain was always half hearted about the EU, it didn't take part seriously, it quibbled about minor issues, it was obstructionist. The EU could have been the best thing for Britain (as it was for Germany) if it had taken an active part in the organisation but it didn't and it only has itself (and perhaps its inbuilt xenophobia) to blame.

Germany was in deep financial shit after reunification but it reformed as a united country and industrial power. Britain could have done that too but instead chose to wage war with itself, have riots in the streets and break down the very fabric of its society.

Frankly, if nations want to know how not to do things then Britain is the text book example. I despair for Britain.

As ye reap...
You are right and you are wrong.

Yes, Germany had nothing to do with the original veto on Britain joining the EEC (not EU at that time); it was France.

De Gaul hated Britain, but how did we treat him appallingly during the war? Didn't we give him and his countrymen sanctuary in the war? What benefit did we gain from that?

Yes, they have been using us. Compare the nett contributions (after refunds) that France pays compared to what we pay.

We quibbled about minor issues, did we? Yet we, more than any other country, abided by their rules even when they were to our detriment. Everyone else adopted the rules they liked and ignored the others.

I agree that the German people worked together for their mutual benefit, whereas in Britain management and unions pulled apart at every opportunity. That was typical of our stupidity, and I have said so before.

Don't despair of Britain; you live in Australia. As long as your fizzy water (you call it lager) keeps appearing, that's all you should be concerned about.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-08-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

As ye reap...
So much wrong with Britain we funded Germany rebuilding I believe, France was dreadful to us after we basically saved them ! I remember my grandad shaking his head when we begged to belong saying why did he lose family members in two world wars to beg to belong to this group ? I never had an answer that made any sense.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
So much wrong with Britain we funded Germany rebuilding I believe, France was dreadful to us after we basically saved them ! I remember my grandad shaking his head when we begged to belong saying why did he lose family members in two world wars to beg to belong to this group ? I never had an answer that made any sense.
To make sure it didn't happen again.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-08-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
To make sure it didn't happen again.
I can't see it helped, we've had more wars within and without Eu since we joined. It's lighted a nationalistic candle in many too.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top