Join for free
Page 88 of 370 « First < 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 138 188 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 11:06 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Oh, OGF.....where are you???

If you managed your Saturday run today, don't you have a happy announcement to make?

Standing by....or running by......or something....
Unfortunately Surfermom Friday's and Saturday's are days of rest. However....Sunday is jugdment day.......
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 12:54 PM

I am interested to see you rotating between high rep and low rep sets. Do you feel more satisfied when doing fewer reps with higher weights, or the other way around. I am all about high reps. I seem to feel a lot less drained later.

Your bicep machine is sadly my nemisis. The problem is that I am only 5' 4" and have never found one scaled for my shorter arm length.

I haven't been surfing lately (flat) so I need to get on with some tricep work. I'll get right on that after my afternoon run...

Happy weekend all around!

I hope you and your wife had an enjoyable evening at the the
Hi Surfermom.
Hope you enjoyed your run yesterday and felt suitably exhausted/refreshed afterwards!

The theatre production was very good, but unfortunately we had to leave at the half time interval as my wife was feeling very tired and poorly. It's all part of the side effects of her treatment. I'll probably be able to download the full show sometime, or buy a DVD of it.

With the high or low reps preference it's really a bit of both.
I usually do a few sets of the lower reps, which focus on strength more than stamina, the high reps finish the particular exercise and I try to round those up to the nearest five reps. Forcing out those 2-3 extra reps causes the muscle to 'pump up' and thus build. Even though it's lighter work, I find it's less of a toll on the body part concerned and is just as effective as perhaps struggling with heavy weights all the time
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 02:11 PM

A cold frosty morning saw me turn out before it got light and run nine and a half miles, passing the 1000 mile mark for this year. Just took it nice 'n easy and enjoyed every minute, and it's not wiped me out for the rest of the day. I even managed to help Mrs Fox with the vacuuming.............Bring on Sunday!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
A cold frosty morning saw me turn out before it got light and run nine and a half miles, passing the 1000 mile mark for this year. Just took it nice 'n easy and enjoyed every minute, and it's not wiped me out for the rest of the day. I even managed to help Mrs Fox with the vacuuming.............Bring on Sunday!
Bob, I believe you've got almost 20 years on me. No way could I run over a third of a marathon, and then do the vacuuming as well And at the crack of dawn too, you superhuman, you!
You're an inspiration to all on this forum pal. Keep up the good work
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

26-11-2017, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Bob, I believe you've got almost 20 years on me. No way could I run over a third of a marathon, and then do the vacuuming as well And at the crack of dawn too, you superhuman, you!
You're an inspiration to all on this forum pal. Keep up the good work
Thanks for your comments Floydy, I think a forum like this is a great motivator for all of us to take an interest in our fitness and health. Just writing a post and reading about others experiences on this thread makes exercising more interesting. Keep up the good work Floydy....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-11-2017, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks for your comments Floydy, I think a forum like this is a great motivator for all of us to take an interest in our fitness and health. Just writing a post and reading about others experiences on this thread makes exercising more interesting. Keep up the good work Floydy....
I think the three of us (and occasional sundry guests) do a decent job of keeping this thread alive, Bob. A nice combination of various forms and variations on the theme of fitness. Just a shame more people on here don't keep as active. Each to their own though.

However, the way I'm feeling right now isn't so great. My knees - especially the right one - have been really playing up during my night shift, plus I have a severe muscular pain in the lower right side of my back as well.
It's easy to blame last week's exercise sessions (after abstaining for so long), but it could be a number of other things.

We have a new sofa at home and although it is very comfortable, my wife is complaining of a similar back issue. But it could be my car seat, or the bed. The list is endless and I'm trying to slim down the options.

As for my arthritic knees, I blame the cold. Hell, I'm falling apart here But whatever is causing my creaky frame to fall to bits, I'll continue my gym sessions this week continuing those on Tuesday (I'm meeting up with my cranky sister today!). There will be more of the lighter weights and high reps I think, which should see my fitness returning. That's the plan anyway!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 06:50 AM

Good to hear from you tonight, and I will respond in kind, Floydy, as I am too late to bed, but one thought occurs to me:

Have you thought about adding swimming or at least some time in cool water? Swimming has given many of my friends with arthritis, particularly their knees and shoulders, significant improvement. Just a thought .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

28-11-2017, 05:02 AM

Good to hear from you tonight, and I will respond in kind, Floydy, as I am too late to bed, but one thought occurs to me:

Have you thought about adding swimming or at least some time in cool water? Swimming has given many of my friends with arthritis, particularly their knees and shoulders, significant improvement. Just a thought .
I used to enjoy swimming after a workout actually, but at my new gym there isn't a pool, so I've never really got back into it except when on holiday. Again though, it's having the time. And when I might have some free time, usually at the weekend the swimming pools are full of screaming kids so it's a non-no unfortunately.

My training looks like it will be virtually non-existent this week as my wife is now in her last stages of radiotherapy. Instead of being zapped with lasers, which is painless, she now has to suffer a through inspection involving tubes and cameras going inside her, which won't be pleasant.

I'll be doing the chores such as collecting the granddaughter from school in the afternoons, which of course leaves no time for training. But in this case, the gym is the least of my priorities, so we'll play it by ear.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 06:03 AM

Floydy, I certainly hope your wife can get these tests over with as soon as possible. I know the treatments are exhausting, and you both should be commended for trying to get out a little. It's certainly important to have a few things on the calendar that you can do to escape the stress.

I was interested in reading about your approach to the weights. It sounds like you have had success with it for a long time, and I know there are a dozen reasons why it's good to be back in the gym.

With a nice warm day, blue skies, and nary a soul in sight, I choose a nearby beach that is a treat for the eyes and punishment for the legs. I have noticed that I am wearing down more easily and am attributing that to some muscle loss (and heaven knows, too much eating last week) so I needed the challenge of loose sand under my feet. About two miles into it, huffing and puffing, I forgot my suffering long enough to realize that the surf was perfect (hip high and clean) . Sadly (hee hee, not really), I cut it short at four miles to catch a few waves before imminent sea breezes would make it too choppy and chilly. After I wrestled my way into my wetsuit, which is a workout all by itself, it ended up being a short session because my feet were completely numb after a dozen or so rides. I felt like I cheated skipping a mile or two today, but burned at least 10,000 calories trying to get out of that neoprene suit. All in all, it was a lot of fun!
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 11:49 AM

Do you know I get a tingly feeling reading all these posts and No I am not sitting on the christmas lights. I just think you lot are an inspiration to us all.

Yesterday I went out running through the woods with my daughter. I tripped over some roots that were sticking up and went flat out on the ground. After my daughter stopped laughing she picked me up and made me promise not to run or do any more exercise until after her wedding.

She does not want her wedding pictures spoiled by me with any kind of bandage or plaster cast on! Selfish or what!

Page 88 of 370 « First < 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 138 188 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top