Join for free
Page 89 of 370 « First < 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 99 139 189 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 12:25 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Cedronella ->
Do you know I get a tingly feeling reading all these posts and No I am not sitting on the christmas lights. I just think you lot are an inspiration to us all.

Yesterday I went out running through the woods with my daughter. I tripped over some roots that were sticking up and went flat out on the ground. After my daughter stopped laughing she picked me up and made me promise not to run or do any more exercise until after her wedding.

She does not want her wedding pictures spoiled by me with any kind of bandage or plaster cast on! Selfish or what!
Something quite spiritual about running through the woods Cedronella but best done solo, with the thought that most of the trees are several years older that you. If they could speak what tales they could tell of times gone by.......Good Running.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 01:15 PM

My last run of November puts my total for the year up to 1025.7 miles but It was quite a shock as I stepped out into the dark this morning in order to drag this weary body around an eight mile course in a fierce icy cold East wind. Bare legs and face were attacked by what seemed a thousand nettle stings as I acclimatised to the zero degrees C that actually felt much colder.

I was lucky today, as in total darkness I made my way along the two mile stretch of road to the next village, not one vehicle neither passed or blinded me with their headlights and I made it safely all the way to the next safe haven of streetlights. I was soon listening to the croaking of a hundred invisible Rooks high in the night sky as I made my way past the church and out onto a lesser used road that would wind it's way around freshly ploughed fields until it met a main road and my four mile marker.

The next mile is straight and wide, and encourages motorists to 'get their foot down' it also encourages me to step up the pace and to turn off it as soon as possible, I arrived at the turnoff unscathed. I approached the farm where in the past I have had dogs chase me, and as I glanced through the gaps in the hedgerow I saw the flash of brown and white of the mean canine that has given me so much trouble before.

He cut me off at the bend. He was sprinting towards me down the long lane that goes to the farm and he reached the bend in the road before me. I deviated from my course and shouting in my most fiercest of voices, ran at speed straight for him, that usually dissuades the most aggressive of animals, but not this time. His nose was crinkled and his teeth glinted in the now lightening sky, he was one angry animal growling and moving in to feast on the savoury mound of flesh that was my calf. Slowly and menacingly he moved in for the bite, my hand sprung out and caught him firmly on the nose with a left jab. He stopped barking and retreated and I made my escape.

Once again I had escaped the jaws of this snarling animal, but the time will come as he gets braver and not put off by a fierce shout and tap on the nose, we will meet in combat, and although I might be injured, I think I can take him.....I hope I don't have to.
I refuse to be intimidated by this mangy hound and change my route, and so It was soon forgotten and I continued my run home in the warm light of the rising sun. Although bitingly cold, there was very little frost and the roads were dry affording good grip on the speedier sections. My time was average to poor though......
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 05:06 PM

Bloody 'ell, Bob! You need to tell this farmer to keep his dogs under control or report him. It could be a whole lot worse mate, so I'd be changing my route perhaps to avoid this?
I guess they made you run faster though!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 05:26 PM

Can I ask OGF, are you running on farm land or the public highway? The reason I ask is because people like to cut through our fields and then complain when my dog growls at them. I ask them how would you feel if I walked all over your garden? just because it's a farm doesn't make it a public shortcut. As far as the dog is concerned your on his turf and he's just doing his job of warning you off..
So maybe it's the same thing with your doggie friend.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

30-11-2017, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Can I ask OGF, are you running on farm land or the public highway? The reason I ask is because people like to cut through our fields and then complain when my dog growls at them. I ask them how would you feel if I walked all over your garden? just because it's a farm doesn't make it a public shortcut. As far as the dog is concerned your on his turf and he's just doing his job of warning you off..
So maybe it's the same thing with your doggie friend.
It's public highway Roxy, I'm mainly a road runner these days with just the odd towpath down the side of a canal. The farm is situated about two hundred yards down a lane but the dogs hear me running on the road and nip under the five bar gate and can beat me to the bend. Should I get bitten there will be a shedload of trouble concerning the farmer and my solicitor....Providing I don't despatch the dog to the kennel in the sky first.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 06:16 PM

Hmmm I see, I'm guessing this has been going on for a while now and has become either a game/bad habit with the dogs. Have you had a wee word with the farmer? Is he aware of the problem? There must be a reason his dogs are outside in the dark. If he's maybe had trouble with intruders ect. Also please be careful about what you do to this dog, you could end up being the one in bother if you harm it.
As I said, a friendly chat with the farmer may be all that's needed. We had a guy come and complain that one of our horses was nipping, We had no idea, and moved her to another field away from anyone's reach. But at the same time I did wonder why he was close enough to be getting nipped in the first place..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

30-11-2017, 10:49 PM

Thanks for your advice Roxy. I suspect the dogs are usually kept under control as it's only the second time I've been harassed. It would be difficult to enter the farmyard because there are more dogs inside, but they prefer to stay there and just bark.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 11:04 PM

Foxy, I agree with Roxy about having a word with the farmer, and best not damage their animal.
If you can't enter the farm yard, haven't they got a front door to the house?
How does their postman deliver I wonder?

Otherwise maybe it would be safer if you just wrote them a note and popped in their postbox or letterbox, the postman must do it somehow surely. The dogs shouldn't be out on the public highway attacking people.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 04:09 AM

Surfermom - With all the excitement about Old Grey Bob Fox's adventures down on the farm and worrying about him getting his legs chewed off, I forgot all about your previous post.��

I know I've mentioned this before but life over the pond in Florida sounds utterly idyllic. Right now we're three inches deep in snow and it's bloody freezing. I'd give anything right now for a dip in that surf of yours.

Anyway, keep up the good work and enjoy the gorgeous weather out there☺
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 05:24 AM

OGF, another adventure in running, but not the most desirable sort for sure! I suppose that to avert disaster, you will either have to take another route, which seems unnecessary, or talk to the owners. Most people don't want to hear that their dogs are harassing people, but it's better than getting the news that their dog has bitten someone. You are eloquent and diplomatic enough that I am sure you will be able to come to some agreeable resolution.

That drama aside, your running sounds as interesting as ever, and from the looks of things, we are not going to be all that far off in our running totals for the year - I hope!

I have to say to you and Floydy that I have to envy you with your recent snowfall. We have only had snow here twice in twenty-five years, although I will get my share when traveling to see my family for Christmas. The strategies involved in avoiding slipping and falling, (which manage with hysterical animation ), adds a whole new - and very much undesirable - element to winter running.

This afternoon I ran five miles today in pea soup. The interesting thing about running in fog is that the water condenses on me like a magnet, so I am seemingly more soaked than in a downpour. Not idyllic, but not frigidly cold either. I'll take it! Just don't ask for a picture .

Page 89 of 370 « First < 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 99 139 189 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top