Join for free
Page 91 of 370 « First < 41 81 89 90 91 92 93 101 141 191 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2017, 02:46 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Floydy, the holidays are are the enemy of the athlete's schedule, and with your busy life, I hope you can just sit back and enjoy the lovely women in your life! Some time away from the gym may well give your knees a chance for a little recovery - which certainly can't hurt! I am always astounded at how well you step back into the gym, and I am sure it will be the same once your schedule normalizes again. While it will be interesting to read your workout reports over the holidays, take some solace in the fact that several of us are barely getting out the front door too , though OGF at least made a noble attempt.

Is there any worse weather than freezing rain for man or beast? I don't think so. OGF got farther than I would have (but he is probably more dedicated to his sport than anyone here). Years ago, I was out running on a subzero day, when out of nowhere, the skies let loose on the frozen ground. In no time the roads were as slick as skating rinks, but I was still six miles from home. Soaked to the bone, and sliding here and there, I opted for the grass on the shoulder. In all my concentration to survive, I didn't notice that the blades of grass had iced over like razor blades, and when I reached down in the foyer to remove my shoes, I noticed that my ankles were cut to ribbons.

Then there was the time, I ran out the garage door in a freezing rainstorm1, lost my footing and landed flat on my back (there was a neighbor out - isn't there always when these things happen ), resulting in my bruising one shoulder blade and ( warning: too much information ahead...) my bottom horrendously. I have often asserted that one of the three greatest inventions is clothing, and for the sake of the viewing public after that fall, this was certainly the case.

So, OGF, it seems you were out there long enough to earn your hot and hearty porridge, and to earn today's medal for "Best Effort".
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2017, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the medal Surfermom, and the porridge went down a treat but the failed attempt at running didn't.... So after delivering Mrs Fox to a restaurant for a girlie meal with her friend I rushed home and quickly changed into my running kit and put right the wrongs of the day with a six mile run.

The sun came out and dried the roads, which were now clear of ice, and thoroughly enjoyed the traffic free roads - Everyone had gone to work or school - but it wasn't all good news. About half way round my lower back muscles tightened and made it very difficult to maintain some kind of a pace and I was lucky to make it home without having to walk.

The time wasn't too bad, so I might have been a bit hard on myself, and spending all morning at the top of a ladder putting up Christmas lights might just have contributed.
A couple of days rest and an eight mile run on Sunday will surely find out what the problem is..Or if there still is a problem....here's hoping.....

If I'd have been your neighbour and witnessed your brush with gravity on the drive, I would most certainly have rushed to your assistance Surfermom.
Running in sub zero conditions or foul weather certainly tests your resolve as a runner, but by God! It's so nice to get home.....And don't you feel better for it?...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2017, 10:53 AM

With the temperature hovering just above freezing, and glistening white frost reflecting diamonds off the footpaths and roads I decided an unscheduled three mile run would be appropriate to start the day. So before the sun had risen above the horizon of a clear blue sky I struck out in the cold morning air. Traction was good on the crunchy frozen surface and I made short work of the route that had taken me along the banks of a partly frozen canal, hurling 'Good Mornings' to several runners coming in the opposite direction. A tough bunch us runners.....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2017, 06:04 PM

I am stalling. It is near freezing right now, but there is this amber, brillant orb rising in the east that promises another ten degrees F by noon, which leaves me patiently waiting over a cup of chai.

OGF has mentioned stocking up on shoes once the perfect pair is found, and I am now on my last pair of a closed out model. I truly believe that more than performance, the right pair of shoes can prevent injuries of wear and repetition. As such, I don't skimp. Fortunately, as my shoes went on clearance, I was able to purchase several pairs an an extraordinary price, but looking at the soles this morning, a dose of reality is setting in that I have to start the search over again.

In the last ten years, I have noticed a tremendous evolution in shoe design. Runners and technology have yielded everything from barefoot running in toe shoes to reducing the overall drop rate, from heel to toe, and better materials. For whatever reason, I prefer a high drop with motion control that help keep my feet landing in perfect form on the pavement.

The downside of recent shoe design, outside of the crazy fads, is that they are reducing the size of the toe box, which is the front of the shoe from where the ball of one's foot lies, forward. Most people tend to wear their shoes too small and tight, which can result in calluses, bunions, and toenail bruising and loss. Wear shoes too loose, and the runner can develop plantars fascitis from the repeated pulling on the achilles heel. Further, worn or poorly fitted shoes can cause all sorts of back and posture problems. Shoes are like the tires of the feet - except they matter more.

So, after soaking up the sun in my all black gear today (albedo effect and all) for a lofty goal of seven miles, I am out with all of the holiday shoppers in search of my podiatric holy grail. Wish me luck and bargains, and best of luck to those of you braving December weather!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

17-12-2017, 11:20 AM

Good luck with the shoe hunt Surfermom, I'm down to the last pair in my stash.

A better run this morning although slower. Plenty of frost and slippy surfaces but Wow! what a sunrise......
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 04:42 AM

Surfermom, you need some shoes like Bob has. All that runn9ing in the snow and ice, they must be pretty decent quality

I saw the doc on Saturday about my knees, the right one's abominable pain has now 'spread' around the back of the knee as well and I'm even getting nasty twinges and niggles in my calf and upper leg as well. God knows what it is. The doctor didn't seem to have much of an idea but he has asked for an x-ray, so we'll see what that comes up with...if I can still walk at all by then! At work I've been really suffering with it, especially walking up the stairs.

But I'm back on my old exercise website because I think being part of the Training Journal scene again might give me some motivation to get back into it. Therefore, I'll be starting again at the gym tomorrow or Tuesday, pending which day I am to pick the granddaughter up from school, and I'll be doing mostly high rep upper body work, which can't hurt can it? I'll then gradually throw in some kind of leg work just to get some strength back in my joints. Hell, I'm feeling weak and feeble right now!

Have a good day folks
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 10:49 PM

It would be great to be eighteen again, but not in a training sense. This is like starting all over again; basic sets, light weights, over and done. But what I did do today, more than the actual training, was get myself back with some kind of focus once more, regain some positivity back to my training structure which has been all but lost over the past couple of months or so. And the only reason I'm doing a journal again is because I feel I need to write this down somewhere and that keeps me motivated. Otherwise I tend to skip on stuff.

It’s just that sticking point, that stumbling block which tells me that I must go heavy for old time’s sake. No – it doesn’t work that way anymore. Until I find out exactly what’s up with my knees, I dare not take any chances, so I began with this minimal effort…

Monday 18/12/17

PUSH
DB press:
12x20
12x20
15x20

Shoulder press:
12x40
12x40
10x40

Chest press:
15x40
15x40
18x40

Pec dec:
15x40
15x40
22x40

Tricep extensions:
18x35
18x35
20x35

Tricep pulldowns:
15x41
15x41
15x41

Single DB raise, flat bench:
15x40
15x40
20x40

LEGS
Incline press:
25x150

Horizontal Sled press:
25x140

Calf press:
20x120

Ham curls, seated:
25x40

Good girls:
25x45

Bad girls:
25x45

Ab crunch:
25x45
25x45
25x45

Time: 1 hour.

Happy with that, a very basic effort but better than nothing. The upper body stuff was easy peasy and I will go much heavier after this initial couple of weeks’ comeback, but I managed the leg work pretty confidently. The only slight twinges I was getting was on the calf presses where the knee caps came into place more. The other work, such as pressing went swimmingly – but I’m not pushing it too gung ho at the moment.

Looking at this routine again, I’m thinking of doing the same thing with my ‘pull’ session on Wednesday – that is three sets of moderately simple biceps/back/lats followed by a this same legs session. After that I’ll going changing things around to do full body each time doing one set for each exercise until I know I’m safe going further. I’ve still got this ‘going for the max’ thing in my head all the time but….One day at a time.

Other stuff
I’m picking the granddaughter up from school tomorrow so no training possible. Then from Wednesday it should be a free run all through Christmas and into the new year, where I’ll have a proper routine in place to start afresh.

Thanks for reading
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

18-12-2017, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
It would be great to be eighteen again, but not in a training sense. This is like starting all over again; basic sets, light weights, over and done. But what I did do today, more than the actual training, was get myself back with some kind of focus once more, regain some positivity back to my training structure which has been all but lost over the past couple of months or so. And the only reason I'm doing a journal again is because I feel I need to write this down somewhere and that keeps me motivated. Otherwise I tend to skip on stuff.

It’s just that sticking point, that stumbling block which tells me that I must go heavy for old time’s sake. No – it doesn’t work that way anymore. Until I find out exactly what’s up with my knees, I dare not take any chances, so I began with this minimal effort…

Other stuff
I’m picking the granddaughter up from school tomorrow so no training possible. Then from Wednesday it should be a free run all through Christmas and into the new year, where I’ll have a proper routine in place to start afresh.

Thanks for reading
Good to see you back training again Floydy, I found out a few years ago that if I was going to continue with my running then I would have to expect less or keep breaking down with injury.

Writing on this thread or in Bob's Bits has certainly helped me to keep interested in my sport Floydy. It's even better if other runners or health enthusiasts join in. Surfermom has certainly revived my interest in reporting my progress.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-12-2017, 12:28 AM

Wise words Bob, Thanks.

I must say I've been relatively lucky (what a dubious word that can be) in that I haven't suffered too much with injuries relating to my training. The odd shoulder and lower back niggles but that's about it. It's a shock to the system and it takes some time (a) to adjust to a workable new routine and (b) getting my head around it all and telling myself "Loz, ease up. You can't do what you used to". But today showed me that it can be changed around a little without sacrificing too much in the way of one's personal fitness and mindset.

You and Surfermom, along with some of the lads on the Muscletalk forum have been great with your support and the only way to go is to persevere, train hard but cautiously and regain some lost fitness.

Thanks both, much appreciated
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

19-12-2017, 05:21 AM

Aaah, just as Floydy is ready to push down on the accelerator, I have been missing most of my outdoor time to do a painting for my dad and accomplish all things Christmas in advance of yet another 15 hour drive to Kansas.

Floydy, it is heartening, and always interesting, to read about your workouts. You have me cheering you one the sidelines as you get back to a program that works for you. What you call light would be impressive to most anyone, and I know you are fighting a spirited battle between mind and body right now. I will be interested in the results of your x-ray and hope you behave yourself in the meantime so as not to aggravate a possible injury. Do you think it could be your meniscus?

Now as for the shoes, OGF, it has been a fail so far. Having just looked at the bottom of my critical sporting equipment (shoes), I see that I still have probably another 200 miles or so in them. that should buy me a little more time, but not much as I am kicking around the idea of competing in a 10K this winter. If so, I want shoes that are a non-issue. Anyway, the hunt, like the running, continues...

It has been slippery running weather with a stationary front settling in leaving us in alternating bouts of rain and fog. As the autumn leaves are just now falling, they line the roads with a lethally slick surface, making concentration the name of the game. The good news is that it clears the roadways and trails for all but the most devoted runners, so I have had miles of peaceful running all to myself. Tomorrow will be my last warm run before trading in the light gear for the previously described Arctic attire that will leave me with no excuses to run in the frosty midwestern air.

My running pace is down some not just from weather but because, I suspect from...hang on to your hats... a gain of three pounds. While that does not sound like a lot, on my shorter frame, it's substantial, so I am having to spread the discipline I devote to my feet to the hand-to-mouth department. Time for a certain person to show some restraint with the holiday confections. Bah humbug.

The forecast for tomorrow is 24.4 C and sunlight seemingly all of ten minutes, so I will be out there early. I will be the one with the old shoes and the sopping wet hair...

Page 91 of 370 « First < 41 81 89 90 91 92 93 101 141 191 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top