Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
socialdancer
Dublin, Ireland
socialdancer is female 

11-07-2016, 10:58 PM

Re: Ballroom dancing.

Yes that was us, we had a ballroom forum like this, then my husband started doing the videos. We once met someone in the Tower Ballroom who told us she and her partner had learned some sequence dances from the videos! But we closed down the forum two years ago for various reasons and now all that remains are the various videos on YouTube. Certainly a small world
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2016, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
Hi again Rosemary . You may like to watch this YouTube video ... it was taken at the Bridlington Sequence Dance Festival two years ago ... I'm dancing across in front of the camera about 50 seconds into the video after a lady with a black top and red skirt ... I'm wearing a white top and dark skirt ....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sn...dHHg1hbvKsM%3A

It was because of the Snowberry Foxtrot I happened to find Over50sForum

Sorry but have to say looking at the video no one seems to be enjoying it by looking at the faces. Darn great hall and everyone is creeping around the edge. Would be a bit more fun if some decided to go the other way

myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2016, 11:17 PM

you're right RS ... it's a well known fact that sequence dancers always look serious ... it's because we're concentrating on the dance and trying to remember what comes next

Another well known fact is that sequence dancers don't drink for the same reason

Ooops !!! Anybody going the wrong way round the floor will suffer the wrath of the Sequence Dance Police
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2016, 11:22 PM

There she is, our very own Dancing Queen!
You like lovely! And dance beautifully.

Stay away from the SDP!
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2016, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
There she is, our very own Dancing Queen!
You like lovely! And dance beautifully.

Stay away from the SDP!
Thank you LMB ... but you're just biased 'cos you're my friend
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 12:00 AM

And I goofed!
Obviously it should say "You look lovely"!
And ya surely does!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 12:53 AM

Of course that dance is just to warm the dancers up ready to really get into the dance mode.

Ladies and gentlemen take your partners for the next dance

Ok may bring on a few heart attacks, but what a way to go
socialdancer
Dublin, Ireland
socialdancer is female 

12-07-2016, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
Shannah and Phil from SDUK took over the teaching at one venue I went to (Modern Sequence) a few years ago ... I had to stop going because they taught us as if we were children and they were not really up to teaching Modern Sequence (their forte is Ballroom/Latin) ... but ok with the social sequence.

We're used to learning a dance in 15 minutes ... they took almost an hour !!!!! Yawn
Well that is very interesting, as we have always thought they are not that good - certainly they obviously know the steps but don't seem to be great at keeping to line of dance. But they do a lot of dances, almost the only place where we find them. I can't understand taking so long to teach a dance, we used to learn two in less than an hour apart from some of the Old Time dances which are more complex. I have heard of teachers here stretching a dance over two classes!!
socialdancer
Dublin, Ireland
socialdancer is female 

12-07-2016, 09:49 AM

realspeed, I love that video, I've seen it before. I always danced in some way or another, but we only started ballroom/latin in our late 50s so I guess we were never going to be able to do that Someone came up to me at a dance in London recently and asked why I didn't smile while dancing, and I would agree with what Myrtle says, although I am making more of an effort not to look too miserable now
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk

12-07-2016, 09:58 AM

Good morning Rosemary

As I said Shannah and Phil were obviously not used to teaching experienced sequence dancers and their teaching method was more suited to beginners ... hence the length of time it took them to teach one dance !!!!

As far as teachers stretching the teaching of one dance over two lessons ... it's the old trick of dangling a carrot so people go back the following week ... and more money for the teachers

Shannah and her ex husband were competitive ballroom dancers and they also appeared in a couple of films dancing (can't remember which ones but similar to Pride and Prejudice).

Her ex is now some sort of executive in the UKA .... what a coincidence that SDUK have permission to demonstrate the winning sequence dances from the UKA competitions on their website

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top