Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 08:00 PM

Carnival Time Is Here Again!

In Somerset we have a carnival season which starts around about now!
I don't go to them any more as it's too cold for me going out at night, but, it was great fun to watch when I did!

Do you have them where you live?

http://www.somersetcarnivals.co.uk/videos.asp
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 08:05 PM

Re: Carnival Time Is Here Again!

They look fabulous Tess

Up North we have Blackpool Illuminations . Of course we have the Gay Pride Carnival in Manchester
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 08:11 PM

I'd love to see Blackpool Myrtle! My eldest went once, she loved it!
We have a Gay Pride one in Bristol in the Summer.
I always wish ours were in warmer weather, but of course it needs to be dark for the lights to show up! They spend months making those floats!
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 08:28 PM

In Sept/October each year there is an event in Matlock Bath, Derbyshire which lasts for 3 wrekends ... they call it Matlock Illuminations ... I've only been once and took my two G/C ... they loved it.

The river is lit up by fairylights and there is a procession of illuminated boats along the river ... just magical ... on some Saturday nights there is a spectacular firework display too
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 08:37 PM

Looks fun Tessa we have the 'Mop fairs 'around here at this time of year which date back to the 1300's when workers were hired from year to year similar to the events described in Thomas Hardy in "Far From the Madding Crowd"
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

04-11-2016, 09:01 PM

That looks fun too Meg! What makes ours so cold is that we have to stand still and watch hundreds of floats go past, goes on too long for kids and oldies like me!
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
In Somerset we have a carnival season which starts around about now!
I don't go to them any more as it's too cold for me going out at night, but, it was great fun to watch when I did!

Do you have them where you live?

http://www.somersetcarnivals.co.uk/videos.asp
We are off to see that tomorrow night,went years ago,thought we'd have a look see again.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 10:37 PM

We have lots of carnivals/fiestas TessA, all year round. The most spectacular are I think the Moors and Christians. These processions usually start anywhere from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. and go on for around 3 to 4 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaFmT3xQ33I
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 10:39 PM

@Tessa what happened to the camels that were beside the m5?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

04-11-2016, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
@Tessa what happened to the camels that were beside the m5?
I thought they were still there, last time I went past, but that was a long while ago.. The wicker man is still there though outside Glastonbury.
Are you going to Bridgwater?
Daughter who drives to Devon a lot says camels are gone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top