Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 12:06 PM

Re: The real cause of depression

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes I'm amazed people get through some times. You must be a strong person to have survived it real speed. Nothing to do with no meaningful work !
Situations exist and people do get through the most difficult of times without true depression occurring. That’s not to minimalise realspeed’s .
Strong people such as CeeCee mentioned ,Winston Churchill ,carry the black dog kind with them throughout life ,which is a completely different kind of depression .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Situations exist and people do get through the most difficult of times without true depression occurring. That’s not to minimalise realspeed’s .
Strong people such as CeeCee mentioned ,Winston Churchill ,carry the black dog kind with them throughout life ,which is a completely different kind of depression .
Exactly so with so many kinds of depression there is no one reason for it.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Exactly so with so many kinds of depression there is no one reason for it.
I agree .
Is there any truth tho in the current climate of anxiety and stress ridden beings which is different to the one which existed years ago , in this final part of the link article which says ,

It is a signal that your natural psychological needs are not being met. It is a form of grief – for yourself, and for the culture you live in going so wrong. I know how much it hurts. I know how deeply it cuts you. But you need to listen to this signal. We all need to listen to the people around us sending out this signal. It is telling you what is going wrong. It is telling you that you need to be connected in so many deep and stirring ways that you aren’t yet – but you can be, one day.”

If you are depressed and anxious, you are not a machine with malfunctioning parts. You are a human being with unmet needs. The only real way out of our epidemic of despair is for all of us, together, to begin to meet those human needs – for deep connection, to the things that really matter in life.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Don't talk to me about depression, been there and had it big time. How is one supposed to cope when ones parents die within 6 months of each other, and ones wife having a threatened miscarriage all at the same time. On top of that trying to hold down a job during the day and visiting 2 hospitals and a hospice afterwards.
Worst time of my life. It felt like being inside a balloon mentally, and every time you wanted to get out side of it the balloon bounced you right back into its centre. No escape,that is how I felt about it. absolutely time never want to go there again
Sorry to hear that. What helped you to recover?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 06:03 PM

I don't believe there is a cure for endogenous depression - coping strategies can help but not cure.
Zuleika
North West UK

04-02-2018, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I don't believe there is a cure for endogenous depression - coping strategies can help but not cure.
I'm with you on that . The black dog has lived with me all of my life as far back as I can remember .
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 06:40 PM

There is no cure, there is no logical reason for it. You can fight it , get help for it , take tablets, and wow ! its gone , great, until you wake up that one day and there it is back in its full glory or worse. you cry for no reason.
Some people are not as lucky as others and do not have that close person to help them through it which must be awful
Then you get those idiots that know it all, " snap out of it " If only it were that easy.
They have never been in that position of not seeing anything good, you cant smile or laugh. Sleep is the only help , you can shut it all out, until you wake up.
Its no good anyone trying to give a reason for it , there isnt one.

An understanding Doctor, and for some of us that have been in that situation a loving partner, who doesnt have to say much, but will sit and hold you at the worst moments .
Zuleika
North West UK

04-02-2018, 07:00 PM

Norway I've never taken tablets for mine . All you can do is wait it out as best you can?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
There is no cure, there is no logical reason for it. You can fight it , get help for it , take tablets, and wow ! its gone , great, until you wake up that one day and there it is back in its full glory or worse. you cry for no reason.
Some people are not as lucky as others and do not have that close person to help them through it which must be awful
Then you get those idiots that know it all, " snap out of it " If only it were that easy.
They have never been in that position of not seeing anything good, you cant smile or laugh. Sleep is the only help , you can shut it all out, until you wake up.
Its no good anyone trying to give a reason for it , there isnt one.

An understanding Doctor, and for some of us that have been in that situation a loving partner, who doesnt have to say much, but will sit and hold you at the worst moments .
I've never suffered with it tbh, but I think you are correct inasmuch about having a caring / understanding partner and someone to speak to.
It must be doubly difficult if you are alone.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Sorry to hear that. What helped you to recover?
I suppose the honest answer is thinking how Sue would cope if I wasn't around. The obvious answer would be time .

Sue says I am one of he most stubborn people she knows. She says once I get an idea on how to- etc, then nothing will change it. Maybe that is part of the answer to your question

If i was asked how anyone else would cope, all I can say they would have discover their own way. How I managed might and more than likely not the way someone else would get over it.

Sorry but that is the best answerI can think of

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top