Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 12:38 AM

Re: Plantar fasciitis?

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Try this...

http://www.shoeinsoles.co.uk
Thanks Ruthio
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 12:45 AM

I injured both achilles tendons mountain hiking and thought I had this too. But not sure as it's all connected down there. It's also weakened the left foot where I had the worst injury. For some time I wore a splint at night (the brand was "dorsiwedge"). This keeps your foot straight at night when you sleep. Otherwise you point your toes and that means that your foot doesn't heal in the right position. So when you wake and stand on the ground it hurts. If you wear a splint at night it relies that. This wasn't prescribed, I think I read about it on a running forum.

I used to do some the exercises Tpin describes (the stair one). I also bought some orthotics (just scholl ones from boots) and some new walking boots and trainers. Went to a proper running shop where they make you run over some glass that videos your gait etc before shelling out on trainers. It was worth it.

It's helpful to have boots with proper ankle support and to wear orthotics. I think yoga really helped my various foot injuries (forgot to mention that I landed on my ankle after tripping down a friend's stairs - same foot).

You also have to look after the foot and pamper it with massage. Arnica salve is good too. Those rubber band things physios give you are good too. But most of all it takes time to improve.

Are you seeing a physio yet? Do you take fish oils? It's all down to maintaining circulation in the area and doing stretching exercises so that it doesn't heal into the wrong position
melfort
borders
melfort is female  melfort has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 11:06 AM

I had insoles made and did various exercises. It took about nine months to disappear.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 01:24 PM

Very painful, particularly when getting out of bed in a morning.

I had insoles, but they didn't do much good. Scholl were selling them at a bout £40 then. So I got cheaper ones.
The only relief was when I used walking boots, so support is vital I think, and exercises. It does take a long time to go, but my doc explained that, and there's not much they can do so far as I know, nothing was offered. I did used to put an elastic bandage on during the day and sometimes at night. That helped.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 04:44 AM

Hi and welcome! Runner here with somewhat low arches and I developed a fierce case, although my symptom was severe heel pain.

I have custom orthotics from molds and had the cortisone shot that hurt like heck, but it relieved my pain fully and within a few years.

I have had two pairs of custom orthotics in twelve years and have run about 18,000 with no return of symptoms.

There are a lot of options, exercise, shots, insoles, custom orthotics, but I seriously doubt that putting your feet up is going to resolve your plantars long-term.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

There are a lot of options, exercise, shots, insoles, custom orthotics,but I seriously doubt that putting your feet up is going to resolve your plantars long-term .
I have to say it worked for me. I only had this problem when I was hill hiking and running regularly, despite stretching. Unfortunately I had to stop running after my severe ankle injury and jogging-related headaches because of some osteophytes in my neck. Once you're over 40 it seems all exercise has it's risks!

Just seeing PD's post brought back the memory of the agony of getting out of bed in the morning. That was the worst. But I rarely get that nowadays because the most I do is yoga and dog walking. Or maybe the prolonged rest helped.

NB maybe I'm imagining it, but I do think wearing ugg type boots helps too. It's like walking on air.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 10:42 PM

Annie, point taken! I think I had considered recovery from the point of view of a long distance runner. Since it is the least costly and difficult treatment - it's definitely worth giving a try.

Uggs, yes!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top