Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 11:06 AM

Cat repellent

Has anyone experience of an EFFECTIVE cat repellent?

Our kittens are fascinated by things behind our television and its stand, one in particular. Cables, the weight chains of our clock, and perhaps just a place to hide.

Cats are supposed to dislike citrus smells. I have placed orange peel behind the set, but they are not put off at all.

I shout at them - no effect. My wife shouts at them - they run away (the higher pitch might be a clue).

That got me thinking, a sonic device might be the best solution, but there are so many on the market and they all claim to be the best! Yes, they are usually regarded as being outdoor things, but I don't see why they shouldn't work indoors.

I'd appreciate any personal recommendations.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 11:10 AM

Re: Cat repellent

My daughter had good results with lavender spray. The type of spray you put on pillows to help aid sleep. She used to Avon one as that's what she had lying around
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 11:11 AM

You could try sprinkling a little black pepper - cats hate that.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 11:12 AM

Size 10 Hobnail boot. ?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 12:41 PM

One of my cats is obsessed with DVD player. I think she saw a disc disappear in there once and is constantly trying to open the tray. After trying all the shouting and saying bad girl etc, I realised she was doing it for the attention, so now I ignore it and she stops. What she really wants is more food but I have to resist as she is starting to resemble a small barrel.

You could try half an onion behind the tv or find a surface they don't like walking on and put it behind (Our two will not walk on anything furry for some reason).
cbrown372
Scotland
cbrown372 is female  cbrown372 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 01:32 PM

A neighbour put a cat shaped sonic devise in his garden, my cat loved scratching her head on it! Half onion? Our kitten’s favourite toy is an onion! Oh and she sleeps on top of the Humax box under the TV likes the heat I guess.

Interesting thread though hopefully I will get some tips from it.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 02:20 PM

I read an article a couple of days ago about someone whose dog became sick from a tea tree air freshener. This prompted me to do a little research. There are many articles re this subject. This is just one:

https://healthypets.mercola.com/site...-tree-oil.aspx

So whatever you decide to use to keep your cats away from certain places, don´t use tea tree. Some articles state that even undiluted Lavender oil can be toxic to pets.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 02:29 PM

I was foster mom for the SPCA (Humane Society) and had kittens with me. I had to wrap my cords in the stuff they put around pipes in basements. It didn't look so good, but it did the trick. These long pipe holder come in long lengths so you can cut it easy to the size you want. They are like styrofoam.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 02:40 PM

Do you mean what we call pipe insulation?

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

17-02-2018, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by cbrown372 ->
A neighbour put a cat shaped sonic devise in his garden, my cat loved scratching her head on it! Half onion? Our kitten’s favourite toy is an onion! Oh and she sleeps on top of the Humax box under the TV likes the heat I guess.

Interesting thread though hopefully I will get some tips from it.
Not for all then.

Some of my past cats have hated orange peel but my current two are not bothered by it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top