Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 12:06 PM

16 YO manning swine flu help desk!!

OK, just saw a brief banner news item on SKY "16 year old people are being used on the swine flu help desk"
Now, let me say this is not critical of 16 year olds as such. I have great respect for youngsters.

But, at that age they can only be reading from a 'check list' or 'flow chart' they can have had no nursing trainning, let alone medical experience. So what is the point of emplying them ?? (Assuming it's true)

So, why not just post the check list / flow chart to anyone who wants it ?

Or is it that many people well over 16 can't read or write
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 12:52 PM

Re: 16 YO manning swine flu help desk!!

Hi Losos I don't think the age of the operators matters really, as you say I bet they are reading from a set text containing a diagram with arrows ...
Cough? yes = arrow this way,
Cough no = arrow that way .

The whole thing is a bit pointless really, it appears the operators are just there to give authorization codes to enable a large number of people with colds to obtain Tamiflu.

I haven't had cause to ring them (and wouldn't anyway ) but anticipate they may say 'is that all I can help you with today' to which I would reply 'I will have a new knee please if any are going spare'
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 02:52 PM

I think they read from a list anyway - which is a good thing as they may forget things otherwise... so I guess it all depends on their telephone manner and how well they are at communicating
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
so I guess it all depends on their telephone manner and how well they are at communicating
Let us hope they are all based in the UK then, and in case you're wondering I'm still fumimg at the illerate and 'couldn't care less attitude' of Barclaycards operatives who are definately not based in UK.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 03:17 PM

I misunderstood the title of this thread and rushed off to tell OH that Young Offenders are manning the help lines!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by angieh ->
I misunderstood the title of this thread and rushed off to tell OH that Young Offenders are manning the help lines!!!
now that could prove interesting !
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk

08-08-2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by angieh ->
Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought that there was a limit on title length hence I used YO meaning 'year olds'

Actualy if one could get young offenders into any sort of work involvinhg the general public it might help and I certainly doubt they would be worse than those I've recently had to deal with at Barclaycard
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 08:06 AM

Big thread bump here.
Just thought I'd look at some of the first threads in each section.
This was from 2009. I wonder if this 16 y.o. is still manning the swine flu help desk...is he busy right now.

Nice to see Meg and Azz among the posters!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 11:28 AM

Lol
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

07-02-2018, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Big thread bump here.
Just thought I'd look at some of the first threads in each section.
This was from 2009. I wonder if this 16 y.o. is still manning the swine flu help desk...is he busy right now.

Nice to see Meg and Azz among the posters!
Some of the old thread make sad reading Floydy a number of original members are no longer on this earth...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top