Join for free
Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 08:46 PM

Re: Favourite Pie?

I'm rather partial to the fresh pies cooked and sold by Morrisons. The chunky steak filling is rather nice. Plenty of meat, with gravy, and lovely pastry. They usually sell two for £1.90 or £1 each. I bought two recently discounted down to 90 or 99p: had one that evening and have frozen the other. Got quite excited when I spotted it an hour or so ago.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
A Welsh oggie, so big I cut one in half and it does me two meals.
Are those the ones with Lamb and Leeks in? If so - they are delicious.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Are those the ones with Lamb and Leeks in? If so - they are delicious.
They are giant sized pasties, basically a complete meal in a shortcrust pastry filled with lamb, mint, potatoes, veg and leeks of course. They do also make them with beef. The tastiest ones I've had are from a shop in Llangollen.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 08:15 AM

There is nothing in the world like an Aussie meat pie - any of these will do me:

I usually have a packet of those in the freezer but I am also very fond of the pork pies from Coles but they only come in once a week

Sorry its a bit fuzzy but it was taken with my phone and my hands were shaking with anticipation.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-04 15.50.41.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	3434  
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I'm rather partial to the fresh pies cooked and sold by Morrisons. The chunky steak filling is rather nice. Plenty of meat, with gravy, and lovely pastry. They usually sell two for £1.90 or £1 each. I bought two recently discounted down to 90 or 99p: had one that evening and have frozen the other. Got quite excited when I spotted it an hour or so ago.
You surprise me...I have in the past travelled quite a distance to Morrisons specifically to buy those pies...but not anymore...the quality has gone down recently and I find they are all pastry now with very little meat.
The Fray Bentos pies in the tin are cheap at only £1 recently...plenty of meat but I don't rate the pastry.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 12:23 PM

Morning Pie Man, My favourite pie used to be the good old fashioned home-made Apple or Apple and Blackberry Pie, but no more........my favourite ever since I first made it is now the Rhubarb and Ginger Pie. So yum I have been known to eat two large slices of it with double cream at the same time! and that was when I was on a strict diet!!!!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	3455  
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
They are giant sized pasties, basically a complete meal in a shortcrust pastry filled with lamb, mint, potatoes, veg and leeks of course. They do also make them with beef. The tastiest ones I've had are from a shop in Llangollen.
Can you tell me whereabouts the shop is in Llangollen Leia? is it this side of the bridge over the river or the other side. He who must obey is always working around Llangollen every week and if they are as delish as you say, wouldn't mind him getting some to try. Thanks xx
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 12:45 PM

The shop is on the town side of the bridge, on the opposite corner of the bus terminus. They oggies are huge and absolutely delicious
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

25-07-2017, 02:29 PM

Thanks Leia, Is it the Baker's shop. When I told he who must obey, he said if it is, (this was before I saw your reply) he said it must be the baker shop where he gets his coffee from. Really nice shop if it is.
Anyway, now you have said where it is, next time he is there I will ask him to get two for the weekend. (good job I always put his lunchbox into a Coolbag with Ice Blocks.) That will keep em cold in this weather, Must remind him to put them into his lunch box instead of leaving in paper bags though or they will be wringing wet by the time he gets home with them.

Will be sure to give you my verdict once I try one. x
Leia
UK

25-07-2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Thanks Leia, Is it the Baker's shop. When I told he who must obey, he said if it is, (this was before I saw your reply) he said it must be the baker shop where he gets his coffee from. Really nice shop if it is.
Anyway, now you have said where it is, next time he is there I will ask him to get two for the weekend. (good job I always put his lunchbox into a Coolbag with Ice Blocks.) That will keep em cold in this weather, Must remind him to put them into his lunch box instead of leaving in paper bags though or they will be wringing wet by the time he gets home with them.

Will be sure to give you my verdict once I try one. x
The shop I was talking about is called Baileys or The Town Hall stores and is near to the bus stops which are just around the corner. They have a Facebook page so you can read the reviews.

https://www.facebook.com/BaileysLlangollen/

and this is their website

http://www.baileysfinefoods.com/our-story

If you buy two oggies you'll be amazed how big and heavy they are but I can recommend the lamb and mint oggies, one will definitely feed two people They sell lots of other goodies too.

There is also another shop actually called The Oggie Shop on Castle Street but I wasn't meaning there.. Sorry, I'm not sure which shop is called The Baker's shop. You've got me wanting to return there now

Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top