Join for free
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 05:58 PM

RIP Lawrence Holofcener

Actor, lyricist and sculptor aged 91. Success on Broadway as director, actor and lyricist. As a sculptor, his most famous works were of Allies - Roosevelt and Churchill sitting on a park bench and now situated in London, and Queen Victoria - presented to the Isle of Wight museum. He was also an author, built a concrete boat and restored houses both in the US and here.

I met him twice when he had Alpine House in Alpine Road, Ventnor, IoW for sale. He had restored a multi-story Victorian terraced house to its former glory and had a 50 ft wide conservatory at the back as a studio. It was lined with busts of luminaries, drawings and paintings. His kitchen on the top floor was faintly primitive American style designed and made by him in his basement workshop. The man exuded charm and high intelligence and to be honest, I felt in awe.

His wife, also American, was a bundle of energy, formerly running the Garlic Festival here on the Wight. Call me Larry, was a US and UK citizen and they went to France to restore a part finished mansion.

Some of our American members may have listened to him on the radio, long before he came over to this side of the Pond.?
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2017, 06:40 PM

Re: RIP Lawrence Holofcener

A very talented man.
RIP

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top