Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 01:37 PM

Re: I Might Buy A Soup Maker!

SWMBO had a Morphy Richards for Xmas. It works very well so far. It makes a minimum of 1300 ml which is a lot for two of us.
It seems to work best cooking from scratch. Avoid starchy sauces as they can catch.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
A pot which makes Your soup for You?...noo that's clever...does it peel,scrape,grate the veg' too
I'm afraid not! May. I might have to employ a maid to do that, then flick the switch!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
A pot which makes Your soup for You?...noo that's clever...does it peel,scrape,grate the veg' too
That's true may you still have to prepare the veg etc.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
SWMBO had a Morphy Richards for Xmas. It works very well so far. It makes a minimum of 1300 ml which is a lot for two of us.
It seems to work best cooking from scratch. Avoid starchy sauces as they can catch.
The Phillips I was testing made less than 1000 ml sounds like size matters in this case.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 01:48 PM

A soup maker?

lols just lols

How can you possibly make a soup with any proper flavour with an electric machine?

The "heart" of any soup, the core taste and mix of flavours, comes from the initial frying of core ingredients in a pan with oil. That includes frying onions to get the caramelisation, frying potatoes (which have already been boiled), plus other veg that's going in like leeks etc.

This is a similar mentality to people who consider buying a an electric bread making machine. A machine that will fast track some flour, water and yeast through a 1-2 hr cycle to produce a tiny loaf that is invariably polished off the same day. What makes people have this penchant for silly electric devices?

Don't you want to "connect" with the ingredients in your food? To handle them, prepare them, enjoy their aromas?

Soup is probably THE most basic and easy meal for anyone to make. Just buy yourself a jug blender if you don't already have one. It's a device than has a plethora of uses, including soups, fruit juices, healthy anti-flu remedies, tomato sauces like passatas, milk shakes, smoothies and tons more.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
A soup maker?

lols just lols

How can you possibly make a soup with any proper flavour with an electric machine?

The "heart" of any soup, the core taste and mix of flavours, comes from the initial frying of core ingredients in a pan with oil. That includes frying onions to get the caramelisation, frying potatoes (which have already been boiled), plus other veg that's going in like leeks etc.

This is a similar mentality to people who consider buying a an electric bread making machine. A machine that will fast track some flour, water and yeast through a 1-2 hr cycle to produce a tiny loaf that is invariably polished off the same day. What makes people have this penchant for silly electric devices?

Don't you want to "connect" with the ingredients in your food? To handle them, prepare them, enjoy their aromas?

Soup is probably THE most basic and easy meal for anyone to make. Just buy yourself a jug blender if you don't already have one. It's a device than has a plethora of uses, including soups, fruit juices, healthy anti-flu remedies, tomato sauces like passatas, milk shakes, smoothies and tons more.
Realist, My Panasonic bread maker takes four hours to make a loaf of bread that is absolutely delicious, lovely crust and no additives!!

I also have a Gelato- Chef ice cream maker that makes the most delicious ice cream in twenty minutes! No chemicals or additives in that either! I use the eggs from my own hens!

The soup maker l mentioned above has rave reviews and from people who would never have considered one!
I rarely get colds and flu.....Touch wood!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Our Delia would agree, she's my Go To book for basic things including soups.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 02:50 PM

Well there is soup (yuk) and there is soup (yum)

One is made with the freshest of ingredients most of which require 'sweated off' in a little butter (or roasting in oil in the oven in some instances to concentrate the flavour) then simmered in stock for 20 mins before liquidising/passing through a sieve/garnishing with a few steamed vegeables if required resulting in a delicious soup .

The other is made by bunging any old vegetables into a soup maker and boiling the hell out if them

I know which I prefer ...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

09-01-2017, 03:02 PM

Ah but if you are counting calories as many of are that little bit of butter etc isn't going into the soup we don't sweat the veg etc first. I think there is a place for the machines you just have to be sure you can make what you enjoy with them.

I was trying to remember last time I sweated veg in anything other than water and can't actually remember it's so long ago.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I was trying to remember last time I sweated veg in anything other than water and can't actually remember it's so long ago.
So you've not made a great bowl of chilli? Or a lovely Bolognese to go with pasta? No pies? No soups? Not even a simple ratatouille? That's a real shame.

How does one "sweat" veg in water exactly? surely that's just boiling or blanching? What would be the point?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top